11+Exams with TICS

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MBomma

11+Exams with TICS

Post by MBomma »

Hi

My son Aug born in year 5 now, Usually does well in his class, recently diagnosed with both Vocal and Motor TICS.
He is getting bit annoyed that he is not able to finish his tests in time because of lack of concentration, but he still wants to take the Test.
Don’t want to discourage him but Just trying to see if he will be entitled to any extra time in KENT, BEXLEY 11+ exams.
If so what will be the process to do that, Please Suggest
hermanmunster

Re: 11+Exams with TICS

Post by hermanmunster »

There is some info re Bexley about how to apply for special arrangements / extra time https://www.bexley.gov.uk/services/scho ... sabilities

Kent LEA advise you to speak to school SENCO as they will have info about the tests and any special arrangements
MBomma

Post by MBomma »

HI hermanmunster,

Thanks for the reply, we tried speaking to SENCO no much use there, they asked us to contact the school admissions in council.

Regards,
Mahi
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Which LEA do you live in? Looks like the process varies by area as does the evidence they accept to decide whether extra time / adjustments are made
MBomma

Post by MBomma »

HI

We live in Orpington
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is difficult when you get sent from one place to the other - I suspect some of this is because you may be at primary school in an area other than the GS you are applying for and they have different systems

Orpington must be Bromley? Which schools are you looking at trying for?

Just looked at the St Olave's site and they had this re extra time https://stolaves.s3.amazonaws.com/uploa ... 1685005722

Has he got a formal diagnosis and have they put him on the SEND register at school (only asking as I think it can be difficult to get help otherwise.) ?

I think there are some around who know the process a lot better than me - hopefully they will be able to help
MBomma

Post by MBomma »

Hi,

Yes we are in Bromley council, Bexley and Kent, St Olaves are with in the area.

We had the diagnosis done and both school and GP confirmed the TICS

we are trying to find the process of applying for special arrangements, as his Vocal TICS might be disturbance to other kids as well as my kid dosen't need to be cautious of his TICS during the exam
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The link in the post above gives info for St Olave's - you usually have to complete the SIF form (supplementary information form) when you apply to sit the exam.

The link higher up for Bexley defines the process there, looks like the deadline is 12th June and the applications for extra time / arrangements are assessed by a panel

Looks like you may have to go through a different process in each area
MBomma

Post by MBomma »

Thank you very much for your help, following the above process

We welcome any other suggestions from any one else who faced the similar issue for KENT - BEXLEY

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

There are a couple of posts listed here that may be useful:

Bexley https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 76#p703576

Kent and Bexley mentioned https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 07#p573607