Type 1 diabetes

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

turtle

Type 1 diabetes

Post by turtle »

Hello
My type 1 daughter is shortly to take the test. I’ve filled out the registration and asked for various accommodations but has anybody been through the test with a T1 child and has any suggestions or recommendations on how to manage it? Her focus is all over the place when her blood is out of range and I’m not sure how to manage this on the day (and preceding hours/night). Thank you.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Type 1 diabetes

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Assumably you currently check her blood regularly and make adjustments according to the range recorded? You would need to do the same leading up to the test and, if she was not fit to take the test on the day then you could not sign the fit and well sheet (ie would not enter her on the day). Hopefully one of the accommodations would be allowing her space to test her blood between papers, if she felt she needed to/or if this would be normal practice, so that no time in the test is lost and that remedial action could take place should she need to?

I have a number of Type 1 students in the school I work in - during external exams GCSE/A levels, they are entitled to have their testing equipment either on their person (for those who have it permanently attached) or close by and can ask to test themselves should they require it. They are in the main hall with everyone else, unless they have other issues that mean they are entitled to a smaller venue. It is amazing to see quite young students (we run all the internal exams to the same regulations) managing their diabetes so admirably!
turtle

Post by turtle »

Thanks for your reply, it’s reassuring to know your type 1 students manage well in exams. I guess my worry comes from her having many days where with the best will in the world and much intervention her blood still doesn’t do what it should. If all goes to plan I’ll get her in range on the morning and all will be well. But what if I can’t? She has done two mocks and both times has spent most of them high (probably the adrenalin) and despite treating herself she has continued going up which then affects her concentration. I’m not sure what, if anything, I should do in those circumstances. If she goes low her alarm will sound and she will treat it and I’ve asked for stop/start arrangements for both highs and lows but I’m not sure this is conducive to doing very well as with lows she tends to feel rotten for a good while after.
I was just wondering if anybody had any tips. It feels a bit like rolling a dice for how her blood performs on the day.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I’m no expert on T1 diabetes, but the one thing I’d think about in your shoes, is if she isn’t well on the day, you’ll need to make a decision as to whether to take the risk she will be ok on the reserve day or not. It’s not the same as just been sick on the day but being pretty sure they’ll recover for the following week.

It may be worth having a word with the school about this scenario and what to do if it happens.