Diagnosis just after the SEN cut-off date

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sparklies

Diagnosis just after the SEN cut-off date

Post by sparklies »

My second daughter is due to sit the Bucks 11+ this September. She is a bright girl, and I have no doubt (by way of comparison with her big sister who is already at a Bucks Grammar and thriving) she would cope fine with a Grammar school.

I've long suspected she has ADHD, but due to NICE guidelines stipulating it must be present in the classroom, we were turned down for referral a few years ago as the school's report showed nothing. Fast forward a few years, and she is better able to articulate the struggles she has in the classroom which she admits she hides well. For example - losing focus when the teacher is talking about something boring, and only paying attention for the "task instructions" part and using her brains or asking friends to fill in the gaps. As she's doing great academically, it's been difficult to convince.

However, it's quite clear through her 11+ prep this year (we're DIY with a handful of mocks) that she is making silly mistakes. When we go over the answers with her, she gets them right the second time around. Obviously we're focusing a LOT on exam technique, but she desperately needs that extra time to go over the questions again. And ideally, a room without distractions but I don't know if that's possible. I hadn't realised it affected her that badly in exam conditions, because obviously regular schoolwork is not an exam.

Early this year we went private to get her assessed again, hoping we'd have enough time and kicking myself for not realising it could be an issue before we started the more intense preparation. However, due to the school coming back with a blank again and the time between reports, appointments etc, we're out of time. This doctor knew how girls can hide it well in school, so she referred her for a QbCheck test, which is a computer-based reaction test which measures impulsivity, attention, and hyperactivity and has a lot of research papers to back it up. It clearly shows (in the opinion of the test administrator) along with her own observations that my daughter is extremely likely to have ADHD, which is what the report will recommend to our doctor, who will hopefully then diagnose her formally.

The trouble is, everything took so long (particularly the referral for the test) so we're unlikely to get the formal diagnosis before mid July, and I'm well aware the deadline has already passed for requesting extra time etc. Her teacher is actually very supportive, particularly after she saw the output from the test, and would write letters if needs be.

I guess this post is a really long-winded way of asking if there's any point in even trying now? Or should we just use the late diagnosis as evidence if we need to appeal?

Thanks!
Weakandwobbly

Re: Diagnosis just after the SEN cut-off date

Post by Weakandwobbly »

sparklies wrote:My second daughter is due to sit the Bucks 11+ this September. She is a bright girl, and I have no doubt (by way of comparison with her big sister who is already at a Bucks Grammar and thriving) she would cope fine with a Grammar school.

I've long suspected she has ADHD, but due to NICE guidelines stipulating it must be present in the classroom, we were turned down for referral a few years ago as the school's report showed nothing. Fast forward a few years, and she is better able to articulate the struggles she has in the classroom which she admits she hides well. For example - losing focus when the teacher is talking about something boring, and only paying attention for the "task instructions" part and using her brains or asking friends to fill in the gaps. As she's doing great academically, it's been difficult to convince.

However, it's quite clear through her 11+ prep this year (we're DIY with a handful of mocks) that she is making silly mistakes. When we go over the answers with her, she gets them right the second time around. Obviously we're focusing a LOT on exam technique, but she desperately needs that extra time to go over the questions again. And ideally, a room without distractions but I don't know if that's possible. I hadn't realised it affected her that badly in exam conditions, because obviously regular schoolwork is not an exam.

Early this year we went private to get her assessed again, hoping we'd have enough time and kicking myself for not realising it could be an issue before we started the more intense preparation. However, due to the school coming back with a blank again and the time between reports, appointments etc, we're out of time. This doctor knew how girls can hide it well in school, so she referred her for a QbCheck test, which is a computer-based reaction test which measures impulsivity, attention, and hyperactivity and has a lot of research papers to back it up. It clearly shows (in the opinion of the test administrator) along with her own observations that my daughter is extremely likely to have ADHD, which is what the report will recommend to our doctor, who will hopefully then diagnose her formally.

The trouble is, everything took so long (particularly the referral for the test) so we're unlikely to get the formal diagnosis before mid July, and I'm well aware the deadline has already passed for requesting extra time etc. Her teacher is actually very supportive, particularly after she saw the output from the test, and would write letters if needs be.

I guess this post is a really long-winded way of asking if there's any point in even trying now? Or should we just use the late diagnosis as evidence if we need to appeal?

Thanks!
Hello
I was in the same position last year with my DS who was initially turned away while the clock was ticking down. To cut a long story short he had all of his assessments done during the summer holiday, long after the deadline had gone.
In the last week of August I contacted the county council admissions office and explained the situation (he was diagnosed with ASD) and they advised me NOT to let him sit the test with the main cohort of children and that a late panel would sit in September. They offered him a separate room, 10% extra time and a prompt and he sat it in October.
Unfortunately he didn't quite get a qualifying score. I hasten to add that he was possibly unsettled by the delay whilst waiting for an exam date- so you must weigh up whether you think you DD would cope with that.
Good luck whatever you decide; just wanted you to know that it's not too late!
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

Thanks for your reply! Ugh - a late panel, that would be unsettling. I'm sorry to hear your DS didn't quite manage to get the qualifying score after all that, unbelievably frustrating for all of you.

Was this Bucks that offered the late panel option?
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

do you live in Bucks or is she at a Bucks partner school?

If you think she may be “close” to a passing score, her ks1 results are good, and the Head is supportive (book a meeting with them asap in Sept to check) another option would be to let her sit the test, then see what the score is, and ask if she can have a selection review (in which head’s statement mentions the new diagnosis).
If successful (more likely the closer she is to the pass mark, lots of info in the Appeals section) then she goes into the first allocation of places along with all the kids who ho 121+, and given her sibling, hopefully to the GS of your choice.

it’s got to be what you think works best, the concern with late sitting if there is delay, could be that all the places are filled.
if there’s a slightly-late-but-before allocation then this could maximise her chance of passing first time round, though.

If for any reason the exam doesn’t work out, there is 12 plus but put this on the back burner as a last option only.
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

Thanks for your reply Aethel - I just realised I missed it!

Just to update - we made the right call. DD was extremely anxious about the test as it was, and said she could not have handled waiting longer to take it, particularly as her friends would know their results before her. I also spoke to the SENCo at Open Evening at the school she wants, and she agreed it was sensible to just go for it and appeal if necessary.

We got a bit nervous in August as one of her mocks came back really quite bad after doing two good ones; which proves she can be a bit all over the place even though she had been working so hard.

Thankfully (because I'm already in EHCP-stress with DS, 8!) she ended up passing comfortably. Over a week later and I still can't quite believe that's the end of it - I'd been gearing myself up for several months more torment but she did good :D
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

hey, that’s great news Sparklies!

Which Bucks school have you named on the CAF?

(if it’s BGS drop me a PM).

Good luck and sure she will love it once the transition is done.
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

It's CGS - her big sister goes there (she has diagnosed ASD but masks very well so only a few peers know) and I've been really impressed with the unobtrusive support she has been getting. Most of it is just checking in with her, which is all she needs, really, while things are going well for her.

DD2 is lucky enough to be quite artistic as well as generally smart, so I think it will suit her well; we've always loved the displays in the art rooms on Open Evenings!

Only another two more children to get through the 11+ now :roll: although the next one we're still not sure what sort of secondary will suit him as his needs are very complex (ASD/PDA/ADHD) - but at least he'll get extra time if we do go for CGS!
Weakandwobbly

Post by Weakandwobbly »

sparklies wrote:Thanks for your reply Aethel - I just realised I missed it!

Just to update - we made the right call. DD was extremely anxious about the test as it was, and said she could not have handled waiting longer to take it, particularly as her friends would know their results before her. I also spoke to the SENCo at Open Evening at the school she wants, and she agreed it was sensible to just go for it and appeal if necessary.

We got a bit nervous in August as one of her mocks came back really quite bad after doing two good ones; which proves she can be a bit all over the place even though she had been working so hard.

Thankfully (because I'm already in EHCP-stress with DS, 8!) she ended up passing comfortably. Over a week later and I still can't quite believe that's the end of it - I'd been gearing myself up for several months more torment but she did good :D
That's fantastic news! Well done that mum!!
sparklies

Post by sparklies »

Thank you! Although I credit my DD with all her hard work and willpower; even if she hadn't qualified, I think her determination to try would be an enormous asset whatever she ends up doing in life.