Sutton SET and Tiffin - dyslexia adjustment

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yulduzli

Sutton SET and Tiffin - dyslexia adjustment

Post by Yulduzli »

Hello all, I have been very stressed on this matter and wanted to learn about experience of parents who managed to get additional adjustments for their children with dyslexia. Could you please advise what is the process of requesting an additional adjustment?

My DS is finishing Year 4 at the moment and he is exceptionally able in Maths, Art and Sports. He struggled from literacy, writing, phonics from early on and has been additionally tutored not to fall behind for the past 3 years. I had a feeling he had dyslexia but because he was quite advance on other subjects and with the additional help, he maintained just about at the national average from English, so he was not a problem for the school. School would agree he had issues but not strong enough to diagnose.
I got him assessed by Educational Psychologist as we are nearing 11+ prep years without progress - DS was on top 1% from non verbal side with very high IQ and his ability dropped dramatically when it came literacy, there was a huge discrepancy with his other skills. He is diagnosed with mild dyslexia and recommended additional time during 11+ writing assessment but I am not sure if this is enough to request the adjustment.

Since he is at national average standard School is not interested in taking the matter further although every school year teacher agreed he had several issues hindering his progress and would support that he gets tutored/provided additional support at home. The problem is now that he meets the national average he is not a candidate for further escalation and his issues are not seen as strong enough.

I would appreciate any views and advice to point me at the right direction.
P.S. I have been through 11+ process and my eldest is in Y7 at super selective, it was a very different experience, no tutoring, few practice papers in the last 3-4 months and cleared all exams. Whereas the little one with dyslexia is much stronger in Maths than his brother but literally cannot comprehend the language aspect with so much effort and help.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now