ASD and adjustment for CSSE

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PipeDream

ASD and adjustment for CSSE

Post by PipeDream »

Hi, trying to work out what I need to do for my son in year 5. He has a diagnosis of ASD and is very high functioning academically and keen to try for grammar. It will be CSSE that he sits. What sort of reasonable adjustments should I be considering asking for? I definitely think a small room as he wouldn't cope with being with lots of other people and also tends to make noises when he's concentrating which would of course be disruptive to others. The timing worries me, he gets freaked out by the idea of time limits which will often result in him taking a good 10 minutes to get started on a task which of course would be quite detrimental for him, however I suspect we would be unlikely to get extra time. What does anyone think? All advice welcomed, thank you!
Choppy

Re: ASD and adjustment for CSSE

Post by Choppy »

He sounds EXACTLY like my girl, who is very high functioning academically, but has recently been diagnosed with ASD. We were allowed a separate little room, which was of great benefit. (She also did three mock tests in a hall - a sort of attempt at flooding therapy in case we weren't successful in getting a separate room...she actually coped very well). Best of luck with it all. We're a CEM region, so it might be different for you, of course.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

In my experience (other schools) the offer is limited but includes a quiet room, 25% extra time and/or use of a keyboard. Access to these Access Arrangements varies massively by school. One refused our request for extra time but agreed a quiet room. On the basis of the exact same report two other schools offered 25% extra time plus quiet room. The former wouldn’t accept a private report while the others would. Keyboard I think needed proof of everyday working. I’d suggest you contact the SENCO now and ask for a copy of their policy. Then organise the required reports/evidence between now and test registration. I met others at the school gates who hadn’t fully met the published criteria but whose SENCOs had advocated for them with supporting letters (eg EHCP in progress but not quite in place but would be by offer day etc). So I’d say you would benefit from a good SENCO’s help - we might have fared better if we had had one of those!

In terms of being in secondary school I’d say get in an application for an EHCP now in anticipation. ASD kids do need extra support and it’s so much easier with the statutory paperwork behind you. Doing well at Primary doesn’t compare to the secondary transition. Also check that the school has good learning support. Some say things like “they just need to get on with it” and if so run a mile! Good luck
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

Thank you both for your replies, I plan to have a chat with the Senco soon as she'll need to write letter of support etc I guess. Going forward to secondary terrifies me anyway, no matter where we end up. I'm not sure how we apply for EHCP as when I look it up it says they are for children whose school is not able to meet their needs, primary school has been amazing with my boy, for which I'm extremely grateful, so I guess I can't apply until he actually goes to secondary and they don't meet his needs?!
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Yeah, we're in the same boat too re ECHP. I don't really get it either! I'm just going to see how she gets on at secondary and play it by ear, one day at a time. The thought of ANY secondary terrifies me (on her behalf) but I regularly hear of children who actually find it easier than primary, and hoping she's the same...
Best of luck with it all x
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

Just wanted to pop back in here to update in case it helps anyone in the future, we applied with all our evidence etc for reasonable adjustments for 11+ and I have to say were really impressed. DS was granted a short amount of extra time, his own room, access to building via a different entrance to not get stressed by the crowds, permission to take a chewing toy in, and the school where he sat called me the week before to discuss everything.

Upshot was, he went in happy and relaxed, came out non stressed (albeit tired!) and felt like it had been a positive experience. His marks are now out and they are not quite high enough to guarantee a place but he is still in with a possible chance come March. I could tbe prouder of him and am so happy with how it was all dealt with, I feel he has had the best opportunity and therefore if it doesn't happen, it just isn't meant to be.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now