Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vsbrothers

11 plus (grammar school) exam advice

Post by vsbrothers »

Hi team,
I need your advice.

I have twins boys one is normal kid and another is cerebral palsy(Special need)kid.

Now both are preparing grammar school exams(11 plus). Special need son have reading , writing and speaking problem.
With someone supporting to read and write definitely he will answer the all questions.

If someone same situation please let me know.
a) during the grammar school exams did any of your children got support , meaning someone read and writing the exam ,
b) did they got any extra time

Any feedback will really help us ,please advice

Thanks
scary mum

Re: 11 plus (grammar school) exam advice

Post by scary mum »

I suggest you ask your local authority what adjustments they can offer. Have you checked the website for the area?
Edited to add:
This is the relevant page for Buckinghamshire, other areas should have similar information, if it isn't in their website you should call & ask them.
scary mum
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Best place to start is the school.
What advice does your son’s school Senco have? Does he normally have adjustments (eg a reader/extra time/other adapted materials) in his lessons?

Has he an EHCP? Are any adaptations mentioned on that?
Secondary school provision would also be discussed at the year 5 review of the EHCP.

It is difficult to give accurate advice without knowing your son’s case.

According to this on Bucks site mentioned above
, the headteacher needs to contact admissions team to request any adjustments needed

https://www.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/scho ... e-testing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Hi. As you’re Milton Keynes, you’re only likely to be able to access one of the grammars and only if you’re in the right bit of Milton Keynes too.

Go to the Bucks section and look at the “historical allocations” thread, it will show if the area you live in is likely to be near enough to get an offer for your non-SEN twin.

The EHCP means that your son with SEN can be named for a particular school and have priority for a space BUT you can’t just rely on that, you need to discuss with the Bucks admissoon team AND ask your school SENCO team to liase with the target grammar’s SEN team to see if they will be able to meet his needs.

Every child with cerebral palsy is different as I’m sure you are aware, 50% have some learning difficulties ranging from mild to incredibly severe, the other 50% have normal intellectual ability but physical impairments, again
in a range. To consider your child for a grammar, you need to show that his intellectual ability is on a par with the other grammar children when supported, and the physical needs can then be worked around, ie the physical disability component should not impact on whether he gets in.

Bear in mind that the EHCP process and accommodations in some cases mean the exam may not need to be sat if the school is named BUT you must speak to the Bucks team about this especially if you live out of county, to find out exactly what you must do.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

https://familyinfo.buckinghamshire.gov. ... ople-send/

old thread discussing areas of MK where people can get an 11 plus place from (though the actual allocatoons will have changed more recently, but discusses rough areas)
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=47031
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Info from AGS website (you may need to look at Buckhingham school
instead depending on where you live): mentions EHCP naming the school

https://www.ags.bucks.sch.uk/ags-school ... rt-at-ags/
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Aethel wrote:Hi. As you’re Milton Keynes, you’re only likely to be able to access one of the grammars and only if you’re in the right bit of Milton Keynes too.

Go to the Bucks section and look at the “historical allocations” thread, it will show if the area you live in is likely to be near enough to get an offer for your non-SEN twin.

Is the OP from Milton Keynes?

If so that does make getting a place in GS more difficult
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

hermanmunster wrote:
Aethel wrote:Hi. As you’re Milton Keynes, you’re only likely to be able to access one of the grammars and only if you’re in the right bit of Milton Keynes too.

There were three threads, I’m sure the one I saw first stated they were in MK….
Now I’m thinking I imagined it!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Aethel wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

There were three threads, I’m sure the one I saw first stated they were in MK….
Now I’m thinking I imagined it!
You are correct. There was one posted in the Berkshire section that mentioned Milton Keynes.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Well spotted yes one of them did say Milton Keynes, https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 94#p774894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that makes the admission rather more difficult unless as Aethel mentioned, you are in the right bit of MK
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now