Irlens Syndrome

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reddebs

Irlens Syndrome

Post by reddebs »

Hi
I have been tutoring a child with diagnosed Irlens syndrome towards the 11+ Irlens is where there is word blindness when using white paper and needs coloured paper or overlays to assist in word recognition.
Does anyone lkow if she can apply for her 11+ paper to be printed on coloured paper?
Regards
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Reddebs

See the following Bucks link, section 'Adapting The Test Materials - question booklets.' It states Nfer will change the 'look' including the colour paper.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/docum ... idance.pdf

Although a Bucks document, it is based on a National legal framework i.e. DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ACT (2001)(DDA) Suggest you conact your local education dept.

Good Luck

Patricia
jenhug

Post by jenhug »

my daughter has irlen syndrome, if the child has the coloured lenses or contacts fromt he irlen centre then there should be no need for coloured paper too, although when my daughter did her SATS, school was able to photocopy most of the sheets onto blue paper for her.

Just as a pointer, if the child has irlen syndrome there is something like a 50% probability there will be another special need, ie dyslexia, etc etc. My daughter also has Asperger's.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now