A salutory tale

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

A salutory tale

Post by Sally-Anne »

This article, from the Time today, shows just how important it can be to make sure that a school or Appeal panel has the correct information about SEN and that the information is applied appropriately.

There is also a reported comment from an appeal panel member in the report that is truly shocking.

Thankfully the mother stood her ground and went to the Ombudsman, and there is a happy ending.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 460621.ece
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm afraid this sort of comment by an appeal panel is not unique - at least the comments were admitted to and recorded. I know of cases where the clerk has apparently not heard the comment ...
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Yes, I read that report and thought the panel member's comment rather shocking. I was also struck by the attitude displayed by the following point:

"The report said that the boy's conditions fitted the definition of a disability. Because of his academic ability he was not deemed to need a statement of special needs."

IMO the term "special needs" means so much more than simply having a learning difficulty - it should apply to any disability or condition that prevents a child from fulfilling his or her own potential ... even if that potential does happen to be out of the ordinary!
Marylou
Alex

Post by Alex »

The mother who complained to the Ombudsman in this case wrote on this forum at the time of her original appeal under the name of Doobie:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2561

I hope she may find the time to write an account of her experiences. Her persistence has paid off and will undoubtedly help others in Lincolnshire and further afield in the future.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now