In which selective schools one can get offer from outside

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jxp

Re: In which selective schools one can get offer from outsid

Post by jxp »

Did you actually read MY post directly above yours???
Yes I did. I noticed that you quoted some parameters which are different from mine (though all are factually correct).

The website compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk does not provide grade 7-9 Eng/Math GCSE figures. I had to extract this manually from respective schools website. Not all schols even share this details in public domain.
If you do your research carefully, you will discover that in some of Bucks' grammar schools there are problems with drugs, self-harming, mental health and all manner of concerns.
I was not aware of this. If that's the case I'd review my decision. I know Aylesbury GS has some serious problem. But I thought that as exception rather than norm.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are not comparing like with like - you would need to find out how many children got those top grades and calculate that as % of the high ability children. I'll see what I can dig up if you are even going to consider your data doesn't hold water.

I've actually taught in a GS and can confirm exactly the same issues as the comp I taught it - GS children are just cleverer at hiding it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Re drugs and behaviour - I would say dream on if you really believe that any school- state or independent, grammar or comp - is immune from issues around these. The only school I know of where Year 9s were caught actually having sex in a classroom is a grammar; and the only one whose Y12 icebreaker was closed down by police before it had even started was also a grammar. Almost all the schools where I live have students who have problems around alcohol - it doesn't discriminate (but then as we know, middle classes have the biggest issues on that score anyway according to stats). The most expensive drugs are available to those at indies, as I was told by a teacher at one - they come in fancier little packets apparently, and the children there are more likely to sell them on to poorer kids. Bullying happens everywhere, and any school which tells you it doesn't is lying. This is all because children are children, teenagers are teenagers, and being rich or clever or both does not also make you a saint.

OP - you have got up to speed very quickly indeed with your extensive and detailed research. :wink:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

A student was recently permanently excluded from my children's (selective) school for drug taking at the age of 12 or 13.
There is no way this is not going on everywhere. As has been said above, what matters is how the staff manage it and how they address issues with the students.
It is almost certainly worse if they say "we don't have these issues" than if they admit to a significant problem but deal with it appropriately.
Fwiw, I know a lot of people in local comprehensives and grammars and in private schools a bit further afield. I would say that behaviour problems are fairly similar in most schools but the two schools near here which struggle to get supply staff because of the students' behaviour are an independent school and a comprehensive school but one with a religiously selected intake. As for the drugs issue, anecdotally they get more significant almost directly proportionally to the fees that the parents are paying.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

In Bucks two years ago, two students were excluded from one grammar school for drug-related misdemeanours and popped up in another grammar school the next week.

A grammar school in Kent excluded a Y7 pupil last October after he threatened other children with a knife in school.

News of both of these incidents can easily be found online, they’re not school gate gossip.

OP is misguided is s/he believes drugs and knife problems are confined to Luton’s comprehensive schools.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Amber wrote:OP - you have got up to speed very quickly indeed with your extensive and detailed research. :wink:
Ooh, you are mischievous!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

In all seriousness, OP, I applaud your desire to protect your child from poor behaviour and drug taking; I feel the same way. The most effective way to do this is to try and help your child have a great sense of self (and self esteem) and to ensure good lines of communication between yourself and her (and non judgmentall listening).
Whichever school she goes to, that will be the best protection for her.

(Please note that I am not blaming parents where children have got into problems. We all know that it can happen to anyone).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now