masu6830

11+ school selection and move in area

Post by masu6830 »

Hi,
My son in CSSE exam got ,

English score 35 out of 60
Maths score 29 out of 60

Total standardised :307.40

We are planning to move Southend as we are living Thurrock council and my son has motion sickness so he can't travel to school by any transportation(not more tan 15 mins).
My question is, how much chance he has to go Westcliff grammar school for boys or Southend High school for boys .
When is the last date to move in inside the area?

Please help me....
ToadMum

Re: 11+ school selection and move in area

Post by ToadMum »

masu6830 wrote:Hi,
My son in CSSE exam got ,

English score 35 out of 60
Maths score 29 out of 60

Total standardised :307.40

We are planning to move Southend as we are living Thurrock council and my son has motion sickness so he can't travel to school by any transportation(not more tan 15 mins).
My question is, how much chance he has to go Westcliff grammar school for boys or Southend High school for boys .
When is the last date to move in inside the area?

Please help me....
It is not specifically mentioned in the SHSB policy (It is in that of WHSB, however), but in the Southend on Sea Secondary Admissions booklet, the statement on address is:

Change of home address within the
Borough after the closing date

Due to the high variations of address policies
across the various LAs and own admission
authorities, regardless of home LA, addresses for
schools in Southend-on-Sea are as per the child’s
normal place of residence (address) as at the
closing date for Secondary Admissions,
31st October 2018. Any addresses after the
closing date are updated after offer day and the
applications ranked accordingly.

http://www.southend.gov.uk/download/dow ... 201920.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

I can't make head or tail of the scores on the Essex thread but are you totally sure your son scored highly enough to gain admission, before you up sticks and move house in a hurry? If he really can't be transported by vehicle for more than 15 minutes it might become problematic at any rate and perhaps he needs referral to a good gastro-enterologist - he will miss out on school trips, some of which might be needed for his courses over the next few years.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber, the Southend grammar schools ( Southend High School for Girls, Southend High School for Boys and the Westcliff equivalents) have a priority admissions area encompassing the whole of the unitary Borough of Southend and some of the neighbouring postcodes which come under Essex County Council, LEA-wise. For this priority area, each grammar school has a maximum of of a majority of its places available - for SHSB it is 5/6 (150 places). There is a minimum pass mark of a standardised score of 303; numbers passing in the priority area relative to the number of IC places available mean that in recent years, all IC applicants with at the minimum score have been offered a place.

'OOC' consists of everyone else from anywhere else in Essex / London / the western hemisphere; they have available to them any place at either of the Colchester superselective grammars, 30 places (I think) at the boys' grammar in Chelmsford, and about 150 ring fenced places plus leftover IC places in Southend. Therefore the relative scarcity of places means that an OOC applicant inevitably requires a score 15 - 20 points and upwards above the douthend IC minimum to gain a place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thank you ToadMum. I shall cross it off my list then. :wink:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:Thank you ToadMum. I shall cross it off my list then. :wink:
Bucket list? Item 994: get to grips with Essex/ Southend selective schools' entrance requirements -?

Or is there a hitherto unmentioned year 5 miniAmber for whom you are looking for selection tests to enter next year?
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote:Or is there a hitherto unmentioned year 5 miniAmber for whom you are looking for selection test to enter next year?
She's Year 6. Wait...is it too late to move?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Naughty Amber! :lol:
Leighmum2019

Post by Leighmum2019 »

My advice would be to name the grammars on your CAF and then start moving sharpish; please consider your area carefully as some secondaries very close by the grammars are not great fall back options. If you could find somewhere to rent in Leigh/Eastwood/Rayleigh while looking for a more permanent base your catchment options become better - this is, of course, reflected in the house prices. I would say that a 15 minute radius (in morning traffic) doesn't give you much to work with!

307 might not be enough for SHSB - seemingly the most popular i/c grammar for boys so scores may be used for allocating places - the standardised score without age adjustment is less than 303 although there are allegedly less boys passed i/c than reserved spaces so all 303+ should get one of the grammars. If you were to move into the area after 31 October you'd go onto the i/c waiting list which I assume to move quicker than the ooc list.

Best of luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now