Between 11+ exam and starting secondary schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Between 11+ exam and starting secondary schools

Post by ToadMum »

Spend some time getting the hang of using public transport on his own, perhaps (if he hasn't already)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

I’m encouraging my DD to do her homework as soon as she gets it rather than waiting for the weekend, this is to prepare her for year 7 when the homework will increase. Other than that, I want her to enjoy the rest of her time at primary. I’m trying to give her more responsibility at home and a bit more independence too.
trimission

Post by trimission »

Thank you all for the ideas - feeling nostalgic now...the 80s and the 90s were great!
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

Does he do any music, chess. We still have until February for our first choice. Already she is longing to get back to the chess clubs, tournament and music exams. There are loads else.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Littlebird wrote:Already she is longing to get back to the chess clubs, tournament and music exams. There are loads else.
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here. Have you stopped these?
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

No Guest55, but it has to be cut back some of it, for exam the monthly all day tournaments over the weekends have to cut down, the weekly club is still on going. Music is still at its most peak as we are auditioning for few stuffs but we have stopped exams for couple of years rather than focusing on playing wider genes. There has to be time for some revisions and more down time just to reflect and not do anything. We do that, when there is a competition, exam, there needs to be more time to reflect(basically “no plan” time, just not to do anything or has any plan). Then once the exam is over we could get back to the usual tightly planned of activities/tournaments/festivals.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's a shame - my DS found getting ready for grade 8 and learning to drive alongside his A levels very relaxing.

He played sport competitively through his GCSEs too.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

I thought each of them is different, here is triple G8 in plan for summer term too. Prioritise and delegation, Guest55, thats the survival rule under this mad household.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Keeping it all low-key is essential - otherwise they feel the pressure of the preparation. My DS is through it all now and so grateful we kept everything relaxed.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

Again, Guest, not al children hate exams or feel pressurised (in a negative way) with exams. There could be possible the opposite(especially if they are given fair chance to prepare). Some children feel thrived, motivated and loved being recognised via exams/competion(and the failure lessons are bitter too but they take it their own way, sometimes its important to let them lead). Again, there is still a long way for us so we must keep our head down.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now