Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:55 pm 

Hello

I plan to start my son for 11+ prep this September. he sits exam in 2020.

Could anyone please recommend which of the AE centers is best ?

My daughter did the 1 year course back in 2013 and was successful at Kendrick, but her friends were not for Reading Boys. I have heard feedback that they have deteriorated over the years.

Any advice will be very appreciated

thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:16 pm 

Just copied this from another post about tutor recommendations, which this effectively is, albeit under the umbrella of a centre...

Welcome if you are new to the forum!

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors or tutoring organisations (other than school/PTA and non-commercial organisations) to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' negative posts, seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members - check carefully the date of joining and number of posts - who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:

• Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here

Kind regards

ForumAdmin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 pm 

Ok thanks for the guidance.

Any personal replies are welcome please

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 pm 

I have no knowledge of AE, so can’t PM comments specifically about them, but worth bearing in mind that the year your DD took the test was the last year Kendrick did GL VR and NVR and Reading had their own test.

Since then both schools have moved to CEM. It could explain why her friends weren’t successful for Reading back in 2013, and could also explain why they may or may not have struggled to get to grips teaching CEM initially. They may have sorted out any issues now.

A number of tutors and tuition centres have gone through the same process. Some have done it well and others have not I think. I don’t know which camp AE fall into.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:29 pm 

Thank you Tinkers, thats valuable input.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm 

Their "tutors" are often 6th form tutors so turnover will be very rapid, and tutoring abilities varied. That may affect individual groups of students.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:06 pm 

Right thanks scary mum.

Is there any recommendation on which of their center is better over the other - Slough or Langley

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 pm 

Kendrickhopeful wrote:
Right thanks scary mum.

Is there any recommendation on which of their center is better over the other - Slough or Langley

Thanks

Langley center has more spacious building, in Slough it’s easier to find a parking space. I would recommend you to check what kind of support the center is offering. As I understood, Majority of tuition centres are trying to teach children GL and CEM VR Formats, VR and NVR etc. If you don’t need an universal soldier who’s ready to sit all possible exams in various areas - check with tuition centre the context of the program. We had to switch to DIYing half way through the preparation process because I felt that instead of doing extra practise in maths and SPAG or reading, playing my DS was waisting time on specific tasks that come up in VR CEM format, for example, as well as NVR that is not required in SW Herts and some other areas.