Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:21 am 

Hi. I wonder if there will be a 'Plan B' for those children who may have to isolate over the 11+ dates. I'm worried someone in their class may be tested positive and the class have to isolate. Is anyone aware? I'm specifically interested in the Kent and Medway but have popped it in 'General'.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 am 

I think in most areas there's normally a test a week later. I'm assuming that this year they will need to be at least 2 weeks later to allow for the 14 days isolation.

I've not seen anything formal though. Probably worth checking with whoever administers the test your DC is sitting?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 pm 

I contacted the Birmingham consortium about this last week. Unfortunately, I had a very brief reply from them that didn't clarify anything - they just said that if your child was ill on the day of the test, to phone the number on the letter. No confirmation that isolation due to the child's school year bubble being affected etc would be treated the same as an illness, or that they would be able to sit it at a later date. I'm quite concerned about this possibility too, as we are already seeing colds etc at school in this first week back. Clarity around their procedure if this happens would have been very welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:32 pm 

We have just had a whole year group in secondary school have to self isolate for two weeks because of one student in the year testing positive.

So it is easy to see how younger siblings taking the 11 plus could be impacted by this.

They will need to allow those this happens to take it two weeks later. DG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:32 pm 

I would have thought they would need to treat it like an illness. I can’t imagine them wanting anyone who is isolating to come out isolation for the test. That would be very irresponsible of the testing centre/ family.

If it is necessary to isolate then an isolation note can be obtained from the NHS 111 site. Employers have to accept this note so I can’t see why the school wouldn’t.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:21 pm 

It's the same at our school with children already having to isolate. I really hope that they would have a 'mop up' test 2 weeks later for anyone in that position. It's really unsettling - I would hate to think that children who have really worked hard for it, and then have to miss it, just simply can't take it and therefore miss out on the opportunity of a grammar place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:49 pm 

Already posted elsewhere:
[url] viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60859#p744481/url]

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/903437/Selection_testing_guide_2020_FINAL1.pdf

20. It would be a breach of paragraph 2.9(e) of the Code (which says that admission
must not be refused solely because a child has missed entrance tests for selective
places) to refuse to admit a child to a selective school place simply because it is not
possible for the child to attend the test centre on any set date or dates. For some children
it may, therefore, be necessary to make arrangements for them to be assessed in their
homes or at another safe venue either at the same time, or later.

Sort of worst case scenario, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 pm 

QE is offering a slot next Frid am to all those who have missed the other four slots through illness and isolation.

Hopefully they will offer another slot the week after to those who were still in isolation for that slot. DG

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 pm 

My child missed their Latymer test last week due to having to self-isolate (case in Y6 bubble). Latymer have said there will be an additional date in November. Just hoping the same thing doesn’t happen again...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 pm 

November? Why can't they do it when they come out of isolation? DG