Advice on Preperation - For Parents not the Kids

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

OverEagerDad

Re: Advice on Preperation - For Parents not the Kids

Post by OverEagerDad »

We do something similar, our littlest goes to bed now about an hour before biggest, so we have that hour as a wind down time where we sit on the couch and she reads with us for about 15 mins, but it is a looooong drawn out process.

She can read, she is apparently reading two years ahead of her age, but I think the trouble is, is that she finds it boring and loses focus. Last count was around 15 mins per chapter on Matilda. Back when she was in Y1 and a bit into Y2 she got some Fairy Princess books which she loved and she would read them til she finished, so I think it is all about finding something that interests her. She has got a Walliams book next, so I am hoping she will like him :D

Thanks again

OED
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi OverEagerDad,

Can I put in a good word for Anne Fine’s books, if she hasn’t already tried them? The Diary of a Killer Cat series is very funny and the books are each quite short so it doesn’t feel like a slog to get through them. My now teenage daughter started reading Anne Fine at 5+ And we still find them very funny so they appeal to a wide age range. I also found the use of language and expression gave me opportunities for discussion. Were the Fairy Princess books you mention the rainbow fairy books? While being desperately formulaic, my daughter loved them.

PS
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

PerpetualStudent wrote:While being desperately formulaic, my daughter loved them.
Yes thems the ones. We have a DD2 starting reception next year so we got a box set of around 50 of them I think ready for next time :D

Anne Fine, I will def take a look.

Thanks

OED
Mandy21

Post by Mandy21 »

I would give a couple of tutors a ring and see if they're booked up. Not your area, but the good tutors are booked 3 or 4 years in advance here (my DD was booked in when she was in Yr 1 even though she wasn't due to start until Yr 5 and we got the last place (of 20)).

I would say don't send her to a tutor in Yr 4 - its far too early and lots of children get bored / feel pressurised if they start that early. Well regarded tutors have a programme that they work through and a year (from October Yr 5) is enough preparation time.

My tip would be to read, read, and read, but play too. Read with her, take turns reading pages, ask about new words, what might happen next etc. Buy her puzzle books (so word searches, Suduku). Make it fun - play Scrabble, Rummicub, Articulate - any kind of "educational" game that she enjoys, so she's widening her vocab / learning to problem solve without realising she's doing it.

And obviously hide your eagerness - don't build it up to be a big thing, don't let her hear you talking about it with others etc. Build up all the local schools as good schools, the exam just helps you decide which will be the best for her. Try not to talk about it in terms of a pass or fail.

That's the theory - wish I could have taken my own advice sometimes :lol:
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

So a year later and the eagerness has subsided, but I still lurk.

As we all know this year was very strange but I thought I'd share what we did in case it helps anyone.

Reading is coming along a treat, last assessment before lockdown happend she was reading at a Y5 level.

Times tables smashed rapid recall up to 12 x 12. We learnt with a mnemonic resource I found on YouTube.

But I always had a niggling itch in the back of my mind about VR and NVR.....and then all of sudden she asked if we had any puzzle books one night after a visit to Grans. So I picked up some S&S books which are aimed at Y3s with simple NVR and VR examples. She loved them and picked them up like a duck to water especially the NVR.

So the plan for Y4 is more of the same, school for school, home for play and relaxing. If she wants to do the VR and NVR books she can do them whenever she wants. My eagerness is being curbed by me trying to learn the KS2 English SPAG which I always struggled with (I do numbers mainly not words).

I also just wanted to say thanks to all who help others on here. Lurking on others questions has helped me lots.

Roll on Year 4

OED
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Jigsaws are excellent for NVR skills. You recognise patterns, fragments of a whole and manipulating shapes in your head. Plus, they are fun.

https://www.mathplayground.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to use this site a lot with my morning maths club at school. Lots of logic and problem solving games. The lightbulb one is really tricky.
OverEagerDad

Post by OverEagerDad »

And almost two years later and it is now all starting to get a bit more real.

Organising extra curricular activities (well reorganising) is the current job to make sure she can keep on with the fun stuff as well as the prep.

Luckily the reading sorted itself out :)

OED
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now