Filling CAF form - Existing through school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
trying11stuff

Filling CAF form - Existing through school

Post by trying11stuff »

DS goes to a comprehensive school nearby which is a through school (secondary transition from primary automatically).

I understand we have 6 options on the CAF and we will be filling it in the order of preference based on the 11 plus results. I was wondering if we should mention the existing comprehensive school on the CAF to be granted a place if none of the top grammar school preferences work out?
hermanmunster

Re: Filling CAF form - Existing through school

Post by hermanmunster »

You say this is an automatic transition - Would you normally have to complete a CAF in your LEA for transfer to a senior school? (most do - and you are advised to include a school where you are absolutely sure you can get a place )

Can you say which LEA it is and someone may be able to help
lizmcp

Post by lizmcp »

I would imagine that you still have to list it as one of your preferences, otherwise you're saying you don't want it at all. Lucky you get 6 preferences - we only get 3, so a lot of people will be putting the guaranteed one as #3 as a back-up plan, despite having a couple of other schools they would prefer.
trying11stuff

Post by trying11stuff »

hermanmunster wrote:You say this is an automatic transition - Would you normally have to complete a CAF in your LEA for transfer to a senior school? (most do - and you are advised to include a school where you are absolutely sure you can get a place )

Can you say which LEA it is and someone may be able to help
LEA is Redbridge. Was told I won't have to fill CAF for transfer to secondary, it is the same school and children move buildings.

Was wondering if existing school has to be on CAF (on 6th position) or failing all 6, is the default option the existing school.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

There are a few all-through schools near me, and I think if you're just moving from Y6 to Y7 in the same school you don't need a CAF. If you want to go to another school you will need submit a CAF. What I don't know is whether you need to include your current school on the CAF or whether you would be offered a place there automatically if you don't get one of your CAF preferences. Please check carefully, don't take chances :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

With five other 'slots', in the absence of a definitive answer from Redbridge admissions team (with grammar schools within the Borough, they should have thought about DC from your school applying to them but not necessarily being successful, but it's not a foregone conclusion), the safest thing would be to add the secondary section of your current school in sixth place anyway.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

About Seven Kings all through school from https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/schools/se ... dmissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pupils in the primary phase will automatically be given a Year 7 place in the secondary phase when they move up from Year 6. If they wish to progress into Year 7 they do not need to apply for a place.
However how do they know if parents don’t want their child to stay on at the school? Seems a bit odd not to even require it to be named on a CAF so I can see why it is confusing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

PettswoodFiona wrote:About Seven Kings all through school from https://www.redbridge.gov.uk/schools/se ... dmissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pupils in the primary phase will automatically be given a Year 7 place in the secondary phase when they move up from Year 6. If they wish to progress into Year 7 they do not need to apply for a place.
However how do they know if parents don’t want their child to stay on at the school? Seems a bit odd not to even require it to be named on a CAF so I can see why it is confusing.
certainly is curious, they won't know how many to expect in year 7
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

We have a new all-through school down the road for us and I was surprised about how admission to Y7 works.

Everyone in Y6 who doesn't fill in a CAF will get a place. Everyone else will be determined by the CAF and selection criteria as normal, whether or not they're currently in Y6. So they must be able to work out who is eligible, although it feels quite round-about.
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Streathammum, this sounds like a nightmare. I read this as:

If your child is in Y6 at the school AND you don't want to consider any other school, Do not fill in a CAF
If your child is in Y6 at the school BUT You want to try for another school so fill in a CAF you no longer have a guaranteed place, but have to take your chances with everybody else based upon the admission criteria.

It almost seems designed to ensure boarderline grammar students don't apply to grammar.

If I had a child at this school I would ask this specific question:

"If I apply for a grammar school place for my child and they are unsuccessful does my child automatically move up into year 7?"