Progress 8: Grammar v Grammar : Grammar v Comprehensive

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MARC1

Progress 8: Grammar v Grammar : Grammar v Comprehensive

Post by MARC1 »

When choosing your grammar schools did any of you pay much attention to the progress 8 scores? Personally, I had a cursory look but others I Know have looked down on grammars who didn't have an 'outstanding' ofsted coupled with a high progress 8. If for example the local comprehensive school has a high progress 8 and the grammar had a low progress 8, would that sway you more to the comprehensive school. What muddies the water a bit is that I've seen grammars with a comparatively low progress 8 so I assumed the students weren't getting high GCSE's. When I looked at the Maths and English GCSEs over 97% got grade 5 and above. Admittedly in this comparison (comp v grammar progress eight) its not like with like but on the whole my main query is whether or not parents on the forum utilised the progress 8 in decision making.
Last edited by MARC1 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mad?

Re: Progress 8: Grammar v Grammar : Grammar v State

Post by mad? »

I think you might want to re-word your question and topic title for clarity - Grammar schools are state schools.
mad?
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

Assuming you mean grammar vs comprehensive or secondary modern (depending on area) then yes, I'd definitely consider progress 8, although the feel of the school is more important to my mind.
I'd much rather a good comprehensive vs a not so good grammar. Grammar schools aren't automatically better, the only difference is that lower ability kids don't get the chance to attend. Grammars don't get more funding and have just as many low performing teachers as other state schools. In fact they have just the same issues as other state schools...and many independent schools.
lizmcp

Post by lizmcp »

I would look at behaviour and general welfare too, as best you can. Let's face it, a bright, well-supported pupil should do well no matter where they are, but if there's a lot of disruption, that will limit the "good" kids. A high Progress 8 might mean dragging the badly behaved kids up to an acceptable level, or it might mean lifting the bright, well-behaved kids to a higher level. From that perspective, I would certainly prefer average Progress 8 and good behaviour to above average Progress 8 and disruption, because good kids will excel in the former. Our current primary has average results overall, but excellent behaviour and welfare - at home I can make up for the low-ish level of teaching, but couldn't compensate for poor behaviour and disruption. I know it's a bit different at secondary, but you get the gist ...
MARC1

Post by MARC1 »

mad? wrote:I think you might want to re-word your question and topic title for clarity - Grammar schools are state schools.

JustOutside

Re: Progress 8: Grammar v Grammar : Grammar v Comprehensive

Post by JustOutside »

We included Progress 8 scores as a factor in our decision making, but only as one of many factors (the others being distance from home, length/convenience of commute, type of school (selective/comprehensive, single sex/mixed), curriculum, Attainment 8, Ofsted report (rating, how recently inspected, details in report), facilities, ethnic mix, DD's preference, our preference as parents, local reputation.)

Within practical commute of our house were three grammars and two comprehensives (well, a lot more more two comprehensives, but two where DD would be guaranteed a place on distance.) The three grammars all had 'well above average' Progress 8 scores, and the two comprehensives had 'average' Progress 8 scores. We were pleased to see that the grammar schools we were considering were adding value, academically, to an already stronger cohort.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

It's an interesting quandary. We have a local super selective grammar with amazing results, but some of the other grammars have better progress 8. Reason being that the super selective kids arrive as a-grade pupils and leave as a-grade pupils, so capacity to improve is limited. My DD's school has one of the best prog 8's in the country. I'm not sure about very high prog8 as it makes me wonder if there is too much hot housing, although so far I've been v pleased with the school. I've also seen prog8 figures in some schools vary quite wildly eg 0.8 one year to 0.3 the next so it is hard to work out where they stand compared to the other schools.

The actual results need to be taken into account as well. A high prog8 is no good if you child needs a 7, and no one ever gets above a 6 in that subject.

My personal view is that any school with a positive prog8 is worth checking out, and you can then use all the other factors eg travel, atmosphere, sport etc to decide what is best for your child.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

I did look at progress8 - but only as part of a basket of measures. I took it as 'value added' by the school - ie if the school takes in a very high performing cohort it may not be able to 'add' much to the mix so to speak...hence why it is important to look at attainment too.

I still come back to - pick the best school for the child - just because a school has great progress8 & attainment doesn't mean that it will suit the child...pick the school where they will grow & flourish :)
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It is a bit complicated as some grammars who have a large intake from private schools may have a skewed result. I believe the calculation means the privately educated children who have often not sat SATs are taken out of the Progress 8 but they do appear in the achievement 8 (as I understand it) / happy to be corrected!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now