Grammar schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sakura

Post by Sakura »

You may already know too well the fact that no grammar schools in your area.
Tiffin in Kingston is the only one which isn't too far out to travel.
It takes just over an hour by bus from Hammarsmith.

Mill Hill County and Kingsbury take very small number of pupils by academic merit with no catchment. Admission criteria changes every year, so check before you apply.

Popular church schools do pick students from other schools for their 6th Form. My son went to rough comprehensive until GCSE's and got offeres from Twyford, Grey Coat Hospital and Cardinal Vaughan.

I think looking around independent schools are much more realistic for you, if moving house isn't your option.
partygirl

Post by partygirl »

The Grammars in Slough may also not be out of reach either. Heathrow Connect train from Acton Mainline to Ealing Broadway and then a train to Slough. The actual train journey is 38 mins with a 10-15 min walk to either Slough or St Bernards GS.

Hoe this helps
moose

Post by moose »

Just a little correction to the list of Grammars. Enfield Grammar is actually not a grammar school, but boys comp. Used to be, but now only the title remained.
I don't know about other listed with 'Grammar ' in the titles.
zee

Post by zee »

partygirl wrote:The Grammars in Slough may also not be out of reach either. Heathrow Connect train from Acton Mainline to Ealing Broadway and then a train to Slough. The actual train journey is 38 mins with a 10-15 min walk to either Slough or St Bernards GS.

Hoe this helps
That's a heck of a daily journey for an 11 year old, especially as you'd have to add on time to get station with time to spare.
And then repeat the whole process in the evening.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

.................. and here's me feeling guilty about a 10 minute bus trip then a ten minute wait before catching the next bus for another 15 minute ride!
moose

Post by moose »

There is a boy in my son's class who commutes every day from Slough to QeBoys Barnet. :shock:
There are limits to how far you should go.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

moose wrote:There is a boy in my son's class who commutes every day from Slough to QeBoys Barnet. :shock:
There are limits to how far you should go.
Considering there are enough GS in the Slough area! :?
moose

Post by moose »

Apparently he passed to couple of them closer home (Langley was one of them), but prefered QE. How strange is that?
zorro

Post by zorro »

Poor boy!
I wonder how long his journey takes?
He must be exhausted when he has to tackle his homework at the end of the day.
I know QE is a brilliant school but I think that is really not fair- either on the boy or someone living nearer who could have utilised the place better.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I cannot believe some parents and feel really sorry for the boy :cry:

How can he really get involved in clubs and sport?