What plans do you have for 11 plus revision over Summer?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I don't think anyone is sitting in judgement on anyone else - just answering the OP's question.

One of the reasons that I would avoid a heavy practice timetable (apart from the belief that, above a certain amount it doesn't make much difference) is that it reinforces the message to a child that the tests are hugely important. They are of course, but personally I wouldn't want my child thinking this in the run up to or during the tests.

Having heard about children bursting into tears or being sick before or even during tests at my sons' primary I think some children must be put under a lot of pressure to perform well and I think for many children a gentler approach in the run up would alleviate some of this.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I don't want to bore everyone by retelling my family's story.In nutshell DD1 flew in to so called "superselective" and DD2 scraped in. :oops: Phew.

If I could re run events I would do something in the Summer.I did nothing on the basis of don't want to overemphasise importance of exam and "she is only 10" and needs a rest etc.

Looking back she was always the kind of child whose brain went on holiday when she did! DD1 was never affected by summer break and would go back totally "switched on".DD2 would take a couple of weeks to "warm up".
I should have seen that and realised she could not afford nearly two months off.
I was devastated when she didn't get in on offer day(got a place a fortnight later on waiting list). :cry: i felt totally responsible.

Its only one summer of their life and it counts for so much.I wouldn't browbeat a child with work in the Summer but if I had the time over, I would do maybe do a VR paper a week, share a "classic " book with her at bedtime and do some maths online games.

I don't know where everyone on this thread lives but the Essex test for the Chelmsford schools is getting more and more competitive .Numbers were up by a fifth and there are only 120 places so 7 out of 8 will be disappointed.(at least)
Its only one summer.I would do some preparation because others will be.Not trying to frighten everyone but best to have no regrets on offer day.

good luck to all :D
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

For my dd last year, we started in February doing about half an hour each night.

After a few months I gave her a paper each weekend to familiarise her with the format and to start building up her time.

By June I found she had peaked (this was only in retrospect mind!!).

During the summer holidays I found there was nothing more for her, but to keep her ticking over, so I would give her the Bond ten minute tests (not as a test but just for something to do) and during this time we started on a couple of weak area in her maths (for the indie exams in January).

By August she was ready for the NFER papers to be delivered in a formal setting so she would have one vr on a Saturday and the nvr on the Sunday.

She sat the exams a week after going back to school in September (and passed - really well).
SSM

Post by SSM »

I agree totally with you Bexley Mum 2.

As fm has said, each child and family are different. I felt a timetable worked for us as it gave us something to work to, I'm normally very laid back and if we didn't have a timetable it would be a case of 'oh I can't be bothered to do it today lets leave it until tomorrow' however I would probably do that every day and never get round to doing anything :D .

I also find with my children, routine works better than just doing things as and when, this also works with musical instruments practice. They seem to respond better when they know that they have to do something at a certain time, then they are free to do as they wish (within reason :shock: ) rather than having things thrown at them randomly.

I think the one thing that we all agree on is that everyone is different, so we can give the OP ideas but ultimately they are the only people that know their children and lifestyle and can decide the appropriate route for them.
fm

Post by fm »

I think it is a very good story, Chelmsford Mum, and illustrates what I was trying to say.

All children are different and need different styles of preparation and entry is significantly more difficult in some areas.

As far as parents go, I find ones whose first child didn't gain entry due to a mixture of over reliance on the child's natural ability and a reluctance to put pressure on the child, sing a quite different tune next time round.

I also find ones whose first child did get in are sometimes quite complacent, assuming second child will also manage it, even though all evidence points to them being an entirely different character who is currently not performing at the same level as first born. Remember first borns get your undivided attention for at least two years in most families' cases.

A little work over one summer will not ruin their lives and it only becomes destructive pressure when parents over-react to a bad test and start piling on more work rather shrugging it off.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

fm wrote:I also find ones whose first child did get in are sometimes quite complacent, assuming second child will also manage it,
That was me. :oops:
I relied too heavily on the fact that her test results in practice at home were the same as other daughter's.
I didn't look at the whole picture e.g as I said earlier, she did have a summer dip tendency, is generally more prone to scattiness which can translate to inaccuracy and was more affected by the test conditions on the day.

She also had more pressure because sister was already there.

As you say a bit of prep in the summer is not going to ruin their lives and takes away the horrible " if only..."
fm

Post by fm »

Yes, as you say, if a big sister or brother has already passed, then there must be an extra element of pressure coming from the child themselves.

One of my surprise passes this year had the good fortune to be following two older siblings (not my pupils) who did not pass so, while parents took it seriously, child didn't have anything to live up to yet she was very much supported by the older ones.

In fact, that's another element that comes into play. If I am tutoring the eldest in a family with 2 or 3 younger children, it is often very difficult for these older ones to study in such a playful environment (and you are much more likely to get various pieces of food and other things stuck to their homework!).
Milla

Post by Milla »

fm wrote: I also find ones whose first child did get in are sometimes quite complacent, assuming second child will also manage it, even though all evidence points to them being an entirely different character who is currently not performing at the same level as first born.
I'm actually the other way round! Any excuse to become a bag of nerves, of course, but seeing what it all "means" rather than it existing in a kind of cloud cuckoo land has focussed the mind somewhat.
I reckon we all think much the same way. We'd chain the little darlings to a desk 8 hours a day if it meant "it" happened, but have to try not to choke them with our version of the reality of the situation and try to play the merry mum occasionally too!
Similar disturbing numbers for us, CM. Plus private schools training them since Y3.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Milla wrote: I Similar disturbing numbers for us, CM. Plus private schools training them since Y3.
I know :cry: Its the same around here but it can still be done.I have a friend who kept unsettling me for a year (not deliberately), by telling me what her DD was doing for prep at her indep school.VR from year 3 and full practice papers in test conditions, blah blah etc.

Not a single child got into one of the Chelmsford schools from her school.A couple got into grammars with a "pass mark" that are not as nearby.
I don't say this to appear to crow.As it was lots of them had independent back up options which are very good.
It seems to me some indep schools just feel under pressure to prep everyone, regardless almost of any serious prospects of getting in.So don't be put off.

Wish you ALL the best.It is not an easy process to go through.
fm

Post by fm »

To Milla,

I have said this before and I shall say it again: doing VR from Year 3 is no real advantage at all.

Your final VR score is dependent on spelling, vocabulary, quick arithmetic, doing paper in the right order and ability to concentrate (a passing knowledge of the alphabet helps too). A good performance in VR can achieved in a relatively short period provided the building blocks are there.

I tutor children from private schools whose parents think VR is in the bag when it rarely is. They are taught in classes (if at all, because it is usually just a case of doing a bit for homework), with little individual tuition to suit a specific child. By the time I see them they are often sick of the sight of VR whereas children who do it in a relatively short period tend to be still finding it challenging and fun.

A committed parent will definitely do a better job. A parent will also identify the right order for their particular child--what is easy for one may not be for another.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now