What plans do you have for 11 plus revision over Summer?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

I have not logged on for a few days, but having read all the posts can see this has turned into an very interesting discussion.
I agree with fm and all those who say each child is totally different, and each to their own.
It is only one summer and it will NOT ruin their lives...at least you wouldn't regret that you didn't try your best. It is ultimately the difference between spending the next 7 years in a local comp and unfortunately ours are not really good at all! Or in a good GS environment where our children will have a better chance to thrive.
Milla

Post by Milla »

in any case, summer? what's that these days but caged animals snarling while the rain pours down outside. Caged animals being the children denied playing in the park or fields. What better distraction than some quick 11+ work!
rachag

Post by rachag »

I will be doing a bit every day and DD knows this and agrees. Stuff she finds more demanding will be in short bursts, eg english comp. Stuff she like, maths and VR, she will spend a fair time on quite happily. She is desperate to leave current indy at end of year 6 and this seems to keep her focussed!

It is only one summer and won't be taking it with us for the 2 weeks in the sun. That said though, may connive some paired reading of improving books....
moved

Post by moved »

um wrote: I feel that my son will be at a disadvantage because not only does he have so many younger siblings out playing, you may all remember what a newborn baby is like for the first few months! He will sit down and do any work I set him but I don't know if I'll have time to go over it with him, the most important part.
Hi um
I was tutoring three lessons per night when my DD was studying for her 11+. Occasionally she voiced how unfair it was that there was no time for her, but on the whole she worked through my materials by herself and marked them by herself. She worked through the questions that she had got wrong and only came to me if she really didn't understand. A few minutes here and there was all she needed. She was, however, very motivated and demanding for materials!
I felt that I had let her down, but she was absolutely fine and has a place at grammar in September.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Chelmsford mum wrote:
um wrote: What is it with Dads! Other half could not sit down DD without a conflict ensuing.
The problem is daughters not fathers. Bribery always works in the end though. :roll:
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

dadofkent wrote:
Chelmsford mum wrote:
um wrote: What is it with Dads! Other half could not sit down DD without a conflict ensuing.
The problem is daughters not fathers. Bribery always works in the end though. :roll:
How much or what did you offer them?
Milla

Post by Milla »

[quote="dadofkentThe problem is daughters not fathers. Bribery always works in the end though. :roll:[/quote]
the problem is also ... sons :?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ds1 had to do intense practice last summer because we had left things very late and had just found this site. We did a couple of types two or three times a week. As soon as September hit we went for it big time, daily ten minute tests and once a week sitting two tests back to back.

He had one brother a year younger out playing on the lane and hated the fact that he had to spend any time revising. It was worth it in the end because he passed.

For UM..... his tests were sat at home with two younger brothers making the noise that a 3 and 5 year old will make. It is great practice for any distractions that are likely to come up on the day. Remember that a silent room is not guaranteed and although one can appeal about this after , if the child is used to distraction it is no bad thing. Importantly your boy is getting peace and quiet with his tutor to learn once a week, oh that we had that :roll: here.

Ds2 will have covered the types pre summer, more organised this year and I will give him a trail run at the end of the month. If it goes well we will do next to nothing over the hols, poss ten min daily once or twice a week. The test won't be until Nov and going on last years experience I think it is better to intensively practice from September so he peaks at the right time.

I just sound so calm and assured :wink: should have seen me last year and oh regretably no lost poundage :x .
emmgemuk

Post by emmgemuk »

My DD takes her 11+ early september. She is currently doing practice twice a week at school, and with us completing 1 VR tues 1 NVR thurs and then going through the incorrect answers with her over the weekend.
We have been doing this now for 2 weeks and she has improved by 10% on the VR now acheiving 70-75% doing another NVR this evening.
I feel anymore than this would be too much pressure to put on her under and IMHO if your child needs more than this they are probably not capable of doing the work required at the school you are striving to get them into. We are however in the position where we do have a good alternative school should she not pass, wish I could say the same for DS who is currently in yr3.
We are currently using the Letts papers and the Bond papers ( which I feel are much easier) think once we have completed all I have bought of these I will look at getting other varieties of papers before returning to the Letts.
It is very interesting to read all about peoples experiences on here, and thanks for sharing :)
MrsK40

11+ AND a FIFTH baby!!

Post by MrsK40 »

Um..... I am in awe of you. You are running your entire household and having a baby and sitting the 11+ with your eldest.... You go Girl :D :D !!

Us Mummies are VERY STRONG.... WE CAN DO IT!!!

My darling DS1 has now announced from beneath his fringe in a grunt that he will do no more revising. So we are doing no work over the summer hols, just playing (ARE WE MAD) . My casual attitude is explained by the fact that he's been going to a tutor doing 2 level 5 Bond papers per week for a year.(has this been too much... perhaps) The test is at the end of November, so maybe we can persuade him to work again in September, As said before, depends on child's circumstances and personality. Also agree about distractions... being used to them is a good thing. DS1 is at a busy state primary where he has had to learn to ignore being poked, shouted at and shoved around and still do good work.

He's a bit of a character and the others find him a great toy! His teaching this year (5) has been erratic and un-inspirational due to Head leaving at April and stand in teacher similar to Charlie Brown's boring teacher (D'you remember the teacher just made MWAH MWAH noises!!) arriving shortly after> Can't wait till it's all over

:roll: :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now