What plans do you have for 11 plus revision over Summer?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Milla

Post by Milla »

thanks both, very reassuring. I think all of the rumour and speculation do a lot of harm. Plus my own defeatist character of assuming it must be me who's a bit *rap!
Just longing for the wretched thing to be over (a scant 5 months) and normal life, whatever THAT is, can be resumed.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

We are currently trying to do 1 bond paper a day for DS (probably manage 5 per week). Yes it is a real effort to do this, but it is making a real difference. We also sit down and do the corrections together so that he understands where he has made errors - if necessary we spend time teaching him things that are not covered well at school.

It is really hard work for all of us to continue like this... however the progress is astounding. Even if it is true that you cannot coach directly for the 11+ (which I do not believe for one moment) this level of work is really helping accademically. Additionaly the level of homework he gets next year will not come as a total shock - currently the primary school hardly sets any work.

I would not say that you have to do this with every child: our DS tends to be careless and not to concentrate too well. Other kids may be OK to do just one paper per week.

When we started earlier this year DS was at 50-60% in Maths (his weakest subject) 60-65% in VR and 70-75% in English. Now he is at 80-90% in Maths, 80-85% in VR and 70-75% in English. We are certainly suffering by not doing enough work on his English, however, as this is his best subject this is all recoverable.

This weekend we will do the first set of the 4 Bond 11+ papers (which by all accounts are much easier than last year's test) at least we will have a benchmark

Matt
Josa

Post by Josa »

chelmsford mum wrote
Its only one summer.I would do some preparation because others will be.Not trying to frighten everyone but best to have no regrets on offer day.

Ditto every word chelmsford mum.

Josa
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

fm wrote:To Milla,
A committed parent will definitely do a better job. A parent will also identify the right order for their particular child--what is easy for one may not be for another.
I couldn't agree more as this is exactly our experience. I recommend using a tutor - however, as a parent you also need to do your part, you can help prioritise the work, help cover gaps in knowledge etc

As for working from year 3 - I will start next year (DS will be in year 3) but only to cover general topics that he is working on at school in order to reinforce his learning. Any child who has the basics covered should have a much easier time getting up to speed in year 5 & 6 in preparation for 11+
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

mattsurf wrote:
fm wrote: Any child who has the basics covered should have a much easier time getting up to speed in year 5 & 6 in preparation for 11+
I agree! We made this mistake with our DS and ended up having to go over the basics in year 5 and 6. This adds to the workload of having to prepare for the 11+ too.

With DD I am determined to ensure that she understands the basics as and when they come up as this does make life a lot easier however does require a lot of discipline on my part!!
Milla

Post by Milla »

BLESSIKINS!

I was just driving the boy to his karate and broached the fact, expecting a massive groan and flurries of irritation, that we'd have to do some work stuff over the holidays.

"Yes," he said.
"You don't mind?" I said, careful not to crash the car.
"No, no," he said, "it's got to be done."
"How much a day do you think?" I said, hoping I wasn't pushing my luck.
"About 45 minutes. If there's enough material for me to work on"

Had to pinch myself to check I wasn't day-dreaming! How this will pan out, I don't know but have to think it's a good start.
SSM

Post by SSM »

You weren't able to record it by any chance, so that you can use it as evidence when he moans about it :lol:
um

Post by um »

Thanks for all the replies, it has given me a lot to think about.
Perhaps I'd better explain one of the main reasons behind me asking. I'm due a baby in mid/end July and this will be my fifth.

I feel that my son will be at a disadvantage because not only does he have so many younger siblings out playing, you may all remember what a newborn baby is like for the first few months! He will sit down and do any work I set him but I don't know if I'll have time to go over it with him, the most important part. He sees a tutor once a week. I'm panicking over him being at a real disadvantage here. My husband works very long hours and also ends up arguing with him every time they sit together so he isn't an option.

However I'll try and put together a good timetable now and see if I can somehow get a bit of time whilst breastfeeding to sit and go over work with him.
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh bless you, Um, how exhausted (and a teeny bit envious) I feel on your behalf. I am sure it will all be well. Any specific help/advice/hair tearing you want do keep asking. This forum is great.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

um wrote:Thanks for all the replies, it has given me a lot to think about.
Perhaps I'd better explain one of the main reasons behind me asking. I'm due a baby in mid/end July and this will be my fifth.

I feel that my son will be at a disadvantage because not only does he have so many younger siblings out playing, you may all remember what a newborn baby is like for the first few months!
My husband works very long hours and also ends up arguing with him every time they sit together so he isn't an option.
I only had one littlie when DD 2 was preparing but she made enough noise in a small house.
If you are paying for a tutor, seek their advice.Aim for practice rather than coaching at home.This is less involving of you.It is worth asking the tutor about advice.
It will be hard but newborns sleep a lot.

What is it with Dads! Other half could not sit down DD without a conflict ensuing.

Try not to worry the summer is just for keeping him "ticking over". :)

Good luck ....... with everything :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now