What plans do you have for 11 plus revision over Summer?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2010 mum

Post by 2010 mum »

"What plans do i have for 11+ revision over the summer????"

This is a big question for all.

On first reflection it is easy to say take a break, but like some other parents have rightly suggested, it depends on the child.

My DD is one of those who struggles with the motivation to get back into her books after a holiday of fun. So I am trying hard to balance this so as not to put much pressure on her after the holiday.

Presently we are doing practice papers, especially on maths. Doing one practice paper a week as well as doing exercises on areas of dificulties.

BIG QUESTION??

For the summer I will continue the practice papers, but concentrating more on the timing aspects. Vocabulary to help with VB.

A balance will be created by having long weekends of fun outing. As we all know it is quite difficult to balance work with the summer holidays except one is travelling.
Thanks... 2010mum
wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

blimey. we are behind!

i have just got a load of bond 11+ papers off ebay and we've done one each of vr nvr english and maths. all of which have put her as level 5 ( i dont know how the points system works!! ) which surprised me as i thought she would totally flunk the maths at least!

We are trying to let our house in london and move to kent before september, which is obviously very stressful and we have two young girls as well so we are doing the tests after their bedtime. Unfortunately Iz gets a tad 'hormonal' after about 7pm and finds it difficult to concentrate.

I dont want it to end in tears every time she does a test or she will start getting negative about it all. I'm hoping that we can spend some time together during the holidays to do tests at a more reasonable hour, even if we have to go to the play area so i can stop the littlies from throwing things at her and distracting her during that time!!

And if she doesnt get in.... well any school in kent has to be better then our local secondary/gangland school here in east London!

ww

oh and those of you who do tests every day... where to you find all these tests? I cant afford to buy many more test books. :shock: is there a secret website with them all on?! x
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Which part of Kent are you planning to move to Wicked Witch?

The type of practice you need to do will depend on which part of Kent you will be sitting the exam. Bond papers are not particularly relevant although you can use bits of them.

I can then help you with links to suitable practice material
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yoyo - I know that Bond VR aren't particularly relevant to Kent tests, do you have any views on Bond Maths? I've got the 10 minute tests which we were going to do over the summer holidays but I'm wondering now if they are appropriate?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I use those, they are quite good.

With maths I take the view that all practice is good practice.

I've not got the 10 minute papers to hand but looking at the 4th assessment papers they seem to cover lots of the type of questions in the Nfer papers.

The areas I have found most children struggle with are
Area/Perimeter (especially for complex shapes),
volume,
fractions, %
ratio and proportion
algebra
expressing probability as a fraction
and symmetry. Rotational symmetry isn't covered in KS2 any more apparently.

you also need to be very quick on mental arithmetic, especially tables

and know squares, prime and cube numbers.

I've been playing a game with a 100 square (you can print them off , just google), die and counters.

You play like a normal board game. if you land on a square number you go back to last square number. If you land on a prime you go on to next prime and if you land on a cube you get another go.

You can begin by having a list of the numbers (which you can get them to work out and check) and after a few goes play it without the prompts
um

new baby here

Post by um »

hello thanks for all the advice and replies.
baby arrived on 14 july and is here in my arms,
still v stressed about my eldest but he seems to be taking a bit more responsibility himself for learning which is good.
will struggle on until 7 november!
Milla

Post by Milla »

delighted to hear that he/she arrived and that all is well! Great news. Hoping everything will fall into place for you.
MrsK40

CONGRATULATIONS

Post by MrsK40 »

:D :D Congratulations Um, glad your little new member of the family arrived safe and sound, and well done eldest for keeping up the hard work.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Congrats from me too.

Just thought of little newborn in arms makes me smile :) not little newborn at night though :wink:, never again! Mind you none of us will be sleeping very well as that dratted T day draws near so you will be in good company. Gloucestershire does theirs on the 7th as well.
Milla

Post by Milla »

well? so?? how did people get on?
Have been reading at various points on the site of "burn-out", tearful children who've had enough, talk of peaking too early. Others say how the work done will be sufficient come the day.
I'm finding that I'm vaguely obsessed by it all. Tend to release that here though rather than dumping on my poor boy. We did a bit over the holidays and fluctuated between terrible (at which point I left it) and great (dared to dream).
Just want it to be over now.
9 weeks tomorrow, I think, for us.
Gulp.
By us, I mean them. :roll: