Am I wasting my time?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yunny

Am I wasting my time?

Post by yunny »

Hello, I am new to this, basically the situation is my son will be starting year 5 next month, I have been giving him all the necessary bond books, verbal, non-verbal, english and maths. I am hoping to get him into Alty Boys but not sure if I am wasting my time because we live outside the catchment area. We live outside the Lymm area which is in Warrington and would he have any chance of getting into Alty if he was successful. Any views would be much appreciated. :?
scooby1

Post by scooby1 »

Hello yunny. My DS lives outside the the catchment area for Alty Grammar and he sitting the exam in two weeks. No you are not wasting your time, however, you do have to do extremely well in the 11 plus exam. PLaces are first offered to children residing ine catchment area after that they are offered to those children who score tyhe highest regardless of far you live. I do know children do attend from far away as Warrington, Stockport, Bury and Bolton.

I would suggest you go and browse the Trafford section and a lot of your questions might be abswered.

There is still a year to go make sure you do not burn him out too soon! I gave my DS a paper a week from the Bond books. During the summer holidays he has been doing practice papers 1 a day. Make sure he does plenty of reading.

Good luck, the year will fly.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Yunny

You need to find out which publishers are being used for the tests.

If its Nfer VR multiple choice, then you are wasting your time using Bond VR books. Bond cover 50 types of questions, only 17 of them are relevant to Nfer, 4 are missing.

Patricia