Getting the scripts back

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sleepless

Getting the scripts back

Post by sleepless »

Having gone through the process for the final time with youngest child in Essex recently, and having accepted that the final answer to the question "can my child have a grammar school place please" was No! I feel that I am now in a position to dig.

We are happy that said child is now going to a good school where they will be happy but, as someone has posted on another thread" the freedom of information act is exactly what it says and if I'm able to look at full medical records, etc, I would expect to be able to read marked 11+ scripts.
At the end of the day, how many National Attainment Target Test scripts are marked wrongly, quite a lot! It is the same with GCSE and A Levels. Yes, they are on a bigger scale but human error is still possible.

Does anyone out there have any legal knowledge. What is the position with regard to obtaining the marked scripts and would they have kept them (bearing in mind that we are talking November last year).

Post by Guest »

Prior to going to appeal I requested in writing that my childs papers be re-marked manually, they were, and, not surprisingly (?!) the marks remained the same. I dont know where you would stand in actually getting the papers back even with FOI act. I think if if was a request that was granted as of right it could result in angry/disappointed parents berating already distressed children about their 'poor' performance.

Post by Guest »

Prior to going to appeal I requested in writing that my childs papers be re-marked manually, they were, and, not surprisingly (?!) the marks remained the same. I dont know where you would stand in actually getting the papers back even with FOI act. I think if if was a request that was granted as of right it could result in angry/disappointed parents berating already distressed children about their 'poor' performance.
James

Post by James »

This website gives details of the duties of schools under FOI

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/educationo ... /news/foi/

Essentially, I think, the obligation is to answer questions (with a few exclusions).

Did you have any luck?

Getting the scripts back

Post by Guest »

Many thanks for your responses.

To be honest, I haven't tried yet but I will have a look at the web site you have named.

I am really happy with the school my child is going to and child has now started there and really likes it so far. I have absolutely no intension of getting angry with child for questions they got wrong, if I do get the scripts back. I just want to make sure, for myself, that they have been marked correctly and let it go at that. If the tests were wrongly marked though, I would quietly drag someone through the mud!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now