11+ or not...that is the question!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fillup

11+ or not...that is the question!

Post by fillup »

This time next year we will be thinking about starting some gentle preparation for DD to take the lincs 11 +(which is age standardised ). I believe that about 33 percent generally pass in lincs though usually 50 percent in her school.

My dilemma is that I want her to succeed and be happy in secondary school and we have a very high achieving grammar school on our doorstep so would like your advice on whether she would get there or do well there.

She is one of the youngest in her year(august) and got 3 for literacy and science, 2a for maths in KS1 - though these are not age standardised.
For her optional sats in yr 3 (age 7) she got 4b for reading and comprehension, 3b for writing, and 3c for maths.

Her reading age at 7 was the highest you could get on the test aged 10 yrs 8 months.She is on the top table for all but maths(except top group for times tables) where her teacher says she is on the cusp of the top group but not quite there.

Her weakness is obviously maths...but how much will this affect her in the exam and at secondary school.
She is asking about the 11+ but what should I say...is there any point?
Haze

Post by Haze »

I'm sure one of the experts will give you a full reply, but I know how you feel.

Our local school is a poor comprehensive but our Grammars are a long bus journey away. I would rather he was happy and motivated at school than out of his depth.
So our decision is to have a go at the 11+, with a little gentle help in technique. If he passes on his own merit then Grammar school is probably the right option. If not then a bright lad in the local comp will be the right option.

It sounds like you have an intelligent girl there and, if the local school is a Grammar, what's to lose?
kingsbridgemiss

Post by kingsbridgemiss »

Hi,

Find out what the local grammar schools are like and see whether or not you think she will fit in with the way the school is run.If you think she will or it is the education you want her to have, then sit her in the exam. She sounds as though she would pass, though do some revision from books and she will be fine.

If you are worried that she will have to go to a state school if she desn't pass, then see whether there are any good local public schools which both equally good in education. I took the 11+ this year and passed, i was going to go to Rugby high school because I live in Warwickshire.But I had taken the entrance exam for Rugby Public school and got the 100% scolarship so I was then allowed to choose where I wanted to go and knew that I would have the same education wherever I chose.

To give her the best possible chance to have a good education sit her in the exam she will probally end up passing given the chance.
Hope this helps.

Kingsbridgemiss
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Agreed. There really isn't anything to be lost by her not sitting the 11+. The tone of your post suggests that you're not desparate for her to attend a grammar but would like to give her the best opportunity, which was our attitude to our son and seems healthier for all concerned.You have a year to prepare with encouragement and some additional exercises. I would suggest familiarising her with the types of questions that she would encounter initially in the form of a few questions at a time before building to a few practice paper over the summer break.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi Fillup

You could try posting in the Lincs section for more advice from Alex.

We're also in Lincs, I think they try to select 25%, but of course this varies in schools from year to year, especially if they are small.

I would say that as your daughter reads well at the moment that is probably all the preparation she needs, until some familarisation just before the test. Speed is key.

When I spoke to a grammar school head prior to my eldest taking 11+ he thought reading was the best preparation. I wouldn't worry too much about SAT scores, the head said they liked them to enter with level 5s, but I know plenty who have gone with 4s.

Speak to the primary teachers, they will give you good advice.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Hi, I'm also in Lincs and they take the top 25 percent. I'm wondering which grammar school you have in mind as the exams are different for Caistor to all of the other Lincs grammar schools ie two verbal reasoning papers which may play to your daughter's strengths. Also, it sounds as if you are in the catchment area which is easier too as your daughter would only have to reach the basic pass mark (unlike my poor son :( )
I don't think anyone can reassure you that she will pass as it all depends on her performance, and that of the other children, on the day, however you are clearly confident of her ability.
Only you know how it would affect her if she were to 'fail'.
Good luck in whatever you decide. :)
BeingTheBEST

11 plus

Post by BeingTheBEST »

All I am going to say is this:

The Words "Grammar School" can now be translated in 21st century generation grammar, it translates as " The Middle Class Business Association"

and remember

"It's not our abilities that determine who we are, it's our choices"
BeingTheBEST

Re: 11+ or not...that is the question!

Post by BeingTheBEST »

fillup wrote:This time next year we will be thinking about starting some gentle preparation for DD to take the lincs 11 +(which is age standardised ). I believe that about 33 percent generally pass in lincs though usually 50 percent in her school.

My dilemma is that I want her to succeed and be happy in secondary school and we have a very high achieving grammar school on our doorstep so would like your advice on whether she would get there or do well there.

She is one of the youngest in her year(august) and got 3 for literacy and science, 2a for maths in KS1 - though these are not age standardised.
For her optional sats in yr 3 (age 7) she got 4b for reading and comprehension, 3b for writing, and 3c for maths.

Her reading age at 7 was the highest you could get on the test aged 10 yrs 8 months.She is on the top table for all but maths(except top group for times tables) where her teacher says she is on the cusp of the top group but not quite there.

Her weakness is obviously maths...but how much will this affect her in the exam and at secondary school.
She is asking about the 11+ but what should I say...is there any point?
Hi..i was just reading your dilemna, and i can not help but worry, my son came home with his practice papers 2 years ago, ready for the 11+..he was crying his eyes out, but you know what hurt the most..he was 10, a child, my child..and labeeling himself a failure..that he was useless and that he wasn't smart..i pulled him out...and i know you might say he cannot cope with it..everyone is different..and you would be right..but the main point is, should any child have to go through that..now my older son he went to a comprehensive..passed the 11+ of course..but he said the grammar school was asking too much...that he felt comfortable in the comprehensive...and therefore was able to relax more when it came to do doing the work..he has now finished with 3 A-levels..2 Grade A's and a B..higher than that of some of the students in our local grammar school. The 11+ is the worst thing for our children, it divides them, it makes them grow up too soon..and if your middle class i say you have a way better chance..there is an "appeal" system, and i highlight the word "appeal" for its more of a case of handing sums of up to £550 pounds". Now some people might read this and will argue the case, but it is happening, please for your daughters sake, make it clear to her that you will never think any different of her, if she doesn't do it, remember she is 10 and she thinks that if she fails it she has failed you and that you are angry at her, before i go take these last few notes into consideration..my son, there school motto is "Only your best is good enough" and remeber it's not our abilities that determine who we are, but it's our choices"
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now