rewards for taking/passing 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fm

Post by fm »

Interesting fact.

John Prescott was promised bicycle if he passed 11 plus. He didn't and got no bike. His younger brother did and duly had bike.

This burned into the soul of Master John, spurring him on to greatness (well, of a sort). No idea what happened to younger brother.

Not sure what the moral of this story is: treat them mean and make them warped but successful, maybe.

We rewarded for effort, taking her out to get ears pierced then pop concert. Didn't plan to reward for place being gained but it was hard not to when some children were being given ridiculous sums.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

John Prescott was promised bicycle if he passed 11 plus. He didn't and got no bike. His younger brother did and duly had bike.

This burned into the soul of Master John, spurring him on to greatness (well, of a sort). No idea what happened to younger brother.
similarly Richard Branson, who didn;t go to university and wanted to show 'em that he was just as good if not better!
meagain

Post by meagain »

Meal at favourite restaurant whether 'passed' or 'failed'. Stars given out during 11plus practice - 10 stars = book of choice (ended up with whole series of fairy stories!) - worked a treat. Rewards for EFFORT and for having the bottle to put themselves forward for the 11plus!
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS was given a small monetary reward (bribe :wink: ) for getting above a certain score in practice tests. Both children were given small gifts after the second test - DS for doing his best (we hoped) and second child for being patient and understanding during the build up.
fm

Post by fm »

I think that's a lovely idea, a little reward for the younger child who can be easily forgotten when so much is focused on elder sibling's attempt at grammar school.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Interesting - we've never offered or given any reward for taking / 'passing' 11+. I suppose I always hoped they'd work hard and do their best (sadly, now they are older, this is not always true.)

My eldest did once comment that friends had been given all sorts of things from ear piercing to laptops and asked us why we had been so tight!

I asked how she would have felt - she said "I hadn't thought of that, I'd have felt even worse."

The reason being that she didn't pass - and we had to appeal. She had worked hard and done her best, but a younger sibling was fighting for life in hospital at the time she took her 11+.
Exteme and unable to plan for I know, but I'm pleased we hadn't offered anything and we haven't offered anything for subsequent children. I'm proud of everything they achieve, however small, so long as they've done their best.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

With Ds 2 years ago I must admit we did go down the laptop route. However, this was largely because the local non-selective schools were providing free laptops to new pupils, and it was as much a bribe to get him to put the GS first on his CAF (had to name schools before results were known then). Thought we would end up having to purchase one sooner rather than later anyway. Problem, we have now set something of a precedent with DD awaiting results. Thought we would get away with it because her favoured GS reqiured you to purchase their laptop, but she is now favouring a different GS.
BlimeyG'vnor

Post by BlimeyG'vnor »

Have smiled to myself when reading some of these comments. because as much as we would all wish for our children to "pass", hence our appearance on this website, the vast majority of the most successful, and more importantly happy adults I know either didn't "pass", or went to their local comprehensive,
blissfully unaware of the 11 plus system.

Reminds us to look at the bigger picture I think...

Still have my fingers crossed though!
Milla

Post by Milla »

We fret, because we can.
dad_on_a_bike

Post by dad_on_a_bike »

Our 2 were promised a pound for every point over a score of 70, plus a fiver if they got over 120, they were happy with this as the effort was rewarded without putting too much emphasis on 'passing'.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now