Current school taken into consideration when taking 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest666

Current school taken into consideration when taking 11+?

Post by Guest666 »

We've just discovered that we made the wrong choice of school 5 years ago! My child's school refuses to help with 11+, even though other schools in the area offer help for prospective candidates taking the 11+. Does anyone know if the examiners know and make allowance for the primary school the child is attending?
sleepless

Taking account of school

Post by sleepless »

I very much doubt that the school is taken into account in any area of the UK. It certainly isn't in our area. Age of child is, as you probably know, taken into account more often than not. (It isn't in our area).

Please don't be disheartened. Look at the practice papers on offer via this sight, for use at home. You can go through these with your child yourself and/or employ a tutor. It is a matter of personal preferance.

You should remember that the schools in your area which do help children prepare for the 11+ won't have time to devote wholly to it. They have the end of year 6 attainment tests and the general curriculum to contend with as well. Therefore, it is possible that your child, if working on 11+ practice at home, may be at an advantage. Certainly, there may be some parents who think that the school is doing the job and that they do not need to add to what their children are doing for the 11+ at school. You, on the other hand, can dedicate as much or as little time to the project as you, your child and the rest of your family and life will permit.
Guest666

Post by Guest666 »

Thanks for your support, Sleepless. I've been reading the TES forum and judging by the spelling and grammatical errors on there we might well benefit from carrying on ourselves. My child is doing well with us helping so fingers crossed, although there's still a long way to go!

Post by Guest »

Where we live all the state schools are forbidden from offering any coaching or practice 11+,the teachers are also not allowed to give advice as to whether your child is likely to pass or not !