85th percentile

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lec

Post by lec »

Thankyou for that!
Would only say score on here where I am not known....the mad thing is we were not aware of how fab it is till I posted on here in another section as was asking about a Grammar out of catchment[honest]
My son is blessed really he takes after his dad and is a good all rounder.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks for posting it. We were very chuffed too as our DS attained 250. Just need him to be in the top five percent for obedience now. :lol:
lec

Post by lec »

HAHAHA,Agree re obedience.
Fab score for your son.
Do you mind me asking where your preferred Grammar is?
We have looked at the one in catchment but I have a sinking feeling we are going to prefer the one 22 miles away...we like to make our lives difficult!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I've PM'd you :)
lec

Post by lec »

I have PM'D you too[if I did it properly]
wirral dad

Post by wirral dad »

Ok - now this is confusing me.

My DD has just "failed" a test for a school that runs own selection process. She scored 234 over two tests - the required mark was 236. Now - by my reckoning - and any information I can find on percentiles - a Score of 117 & 117 is the 87th percentile.

The school is offering to 135 chldren so by my reckoning around 1000 children must have sat the test if a pass mark of 236 makes sense. I am reliably informed the number that actually sat the test this year is actually around 350.

So my questions is - how - if my DD is in top 13% - did she not make one of the 135 places out of a total cohort of 350?

Also - the pass rate remains the same each year - in reality - shouldn't it be adjusted based on the number taking the test - to fill the 135 places?

I'm quite good at maths but this has got me really confused - can someone help? My working out says that with a total cohort of 350 - to get 135 offers - the pass rate would be 104 or 105. 62nd percentile and above.

The reason I was asking is that I am appealing and was trying to work out how many others would have scored 234 & 235?

Any help would be great!

Wirral Dad
new2me

Post by new2me »

If a child is in the, say, top 10% of the general population, this means that in any random group of children, the child will be in the top 10. But it isn't a random set of children that sit these exams. Children of average and below average ability may not be entered for the test. It is possible that all of the children entered for the test are in the top 25% of the general population.
wirral dad

Post by wirral dad »

I thought of that - but NFER do state that the tests are locally standardised and scores are dependent on the cohort takking the test on the day. I think you are implying in fact that there is some element of national standardisation here then?
That would certainly explain my maths!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

There's a thread here somewhere which someone will point out, but basically the mark you quote isn't an actual score ie the number of raw marks scored for the questions but rather has been converted and shows where your child has come in relation to other candidates which is why it doesn't change, I think!!
wirral dad

Post by wirral dad »

Yes - I knew it wasn't raw score but standardised - (Or converted or whatever). It just states that 234 in standardised scores means top 13% - I just don't know if that means top 13% of children taking the test that day or some National average.
Confusing!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now