how much improvement can be made between now and the exam

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

essex-mum18

Re: scoring

Post by essex-mum18 »

chelmsford dad wrote:initailly we were told he might need 90% to get in but ive had a look at past scores reported on here and seen one year where a boy scraped in with 71% and another got in reasonably comfrotably with around 78% , this may have been in a difficult year though so might not be representative of the last few years.
what are your experiences of this? if you dont mind me asking of course
I also can answer that one. My son usually scored above 90% constantly in his practice papers. The 11+ scores were very similar to his practice papers especially he has done well with VR paper but it did drop about 10% in the English paper.

As CM said, every point counts since the scores are very tight.
chelmsford dad

essex mum

Post by chelmsford dad »

what percentage score roughly did your boy get to get into kegs and whereabouts did that put him in the overall picture (dont need exact marks just an idea)
Chelmsford mum

Re: essex mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

chelmsford dad wrote:what percentage score roughly did your boy get to get into kegs and whereabouts did that put him in the overall picture (dont need exact marks just an idea)
They do vary from year to year.The year my second scraped in, she would have got in more comfortably in her older sister's year based on percentages.
Look in the Essex threads for the one called "scores on the doors".There are lots of past stories there.
essex-mum18

Re: essex mum

Post by essex-mum18 »

chelmsford dad wrote:what percentage score roughly did your boy get to get into kegs and whereabouts did that put him in the overall picture (dont need exact marks just an idea)
Just had a lovely lunch! Do not want to get bigheaded, my DS got in with a very comfortable scores. As CM suggested, scores do vary from year to year. Good luck!
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi,
I just wanted to say that I used IPS vr book and papers and found them to be really helpful. My DS was only managing to complete half the NFER paper in time although he was accurate. In the few weeks leading up the test he did the VR demos on this website and it really helped him to speed up.
We got his results today - he passed and achieved a very good VR score.

Hope this helps.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Bex mum wrote:Hi,
We got his results today - he passed and achieved a very good VR score.

Hope this helps.
Wonderful - well done 8)
chelmsford dad

well seems to be improving a little

Post by chelmsford dad »

78.75% in verbal reasoning (susan daughtrey test 2) 63/80 and actually had 61/70 and ran out of time guessing the last 10 and scoring 2/10 (law of averages!) - but when he re did the last 10 he got 8/10 so apart from running out of time he could have scored 69/80 or 86.25% - so the time is still beating him i just hope this comes together in next 5 weeks - still more encouraging :D