Results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jed

Post by Jed »

Hello all,

JuliaB:
I know your decision will partly depend on your other non-grammar choices, but don't feel obliged to appeal. Many do and many are successful, but I know one parent last year who didn't appeal for her daughter who got 120 because she thought the result was unexpectedly high and a grammar wouldn't suit her daughter. The same girl is now with mine in comp and doing really well also.

As long as there's transport to the schools, I shouldn't worry too much either about siblings not going to the same schools. In my opinion it's not as important as at primary as they become increasingly independent anyway. As a parent, I'm also grateful for a bit of variety! I'm not trying to underplay how you feel - I remember feeling very raw myself. But getting into grammar often doesn't seem so important a year later.

Sally-Anne: I had to come back to see how people had got on this year. So.... 12+?!

Jed
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Jed

Which way is the wind blowing? :wink:

I really, really don't know. We've filled in the form, and I shall get him some of the Tutors CDs from this site and see how he gets on with those. I can see us making up our mind the day before, frankly!

I can't see him being any better at VR this year than he was last year. But he just gets better and better at everything else - top in science, top in maths, teacher's favourite at English .... Grrrrr!

Watch this space!

All the best
Sally-Anne
Jed

Post by Jed »

Must be a very difficult decision for you Sally-Anne. Our daughter was the opposite to your son and hated the maths, codes etc. Never managed to finish one of those damned Bucks VR papers! Because she's now settled well in a good comp and is already "expected to achieve" all level 7/8 in key stage 3 (even in Maths!), we're not considering moving her. But before we got the place in the comp we were considering the 12+ as our upper isn't the best.

I think you would probably also be happy if your son was in a similar school. But your situation is more complicated than ours. Do you have the option of keeping your son in his current school?

I think you said the uppers aren't a good option? I'm sure if you can get him through the 12+ and into a grammar he'll be fine (although he probably won't be top in everything!). Maybe that extra year has given him the extra maturity to cope with the test better?

Good luck anyway and I'll pop back after Xmas to see what you decided so make sure you post!

Jed
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Jed

We actually don't have to decide until after Easter! As long as the form has gone in, then we can literally wait until the day (late April I think) to decide if he's going to sit the test.

My son is rather prone to being teased for his "intellectual" approach to life, so my worry about an upper school is the possibility of him being bullied. Also, that at some uppers it isn't seen as "cool" to work and try hard. I think that he would feel the need to conform in order to avoid bullying. There is a comp available to us, so I'll be taking a look at that - we know several children who have done really well there.

The current school goes through to 13, so we still have breathing space, although the tunnel feels increasingly narrow, and light at the end of it is more a spark than a blazing inferno!!

One day at a time, I think... :)

So glad your daughter is thriving anyway - nice to have her settled as well, I'm sure.
All the best
Sally-Anne