Is any areas 11+ test easier(or harder than others?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I think the final place for CRGS in September 2009 was around 130. My DS was low 100 's can't remember exact position and got in with percentages of:

English 82%
Maths 75%
VR 66%

Strangely I would normally consider English to be his worst subject!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I think you might mean 330. Someone I know was probably one of the the last or almost so to CCHS last year and got (I think memory hazy) 343.That amounted to all papers in low to mid seventies % of that my memory is clear.Of course VR is worth double.
It does vary two years before the scores were higher for CCHS.

Who's at tea Minesatea? just wondered :D
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I think Minesatea might be referring to her DS's rank rather than score. :?:

Thanks for the info. It gives an idea of the standard required. Just hoping that the credit crunch doesn't mean there'll be a bumper crop of applicants pushing up the cut-off point.

Might change my name to Minesadouble :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

First-timer wrote:I think Minesatea might be referring to her DS's rank rather than score. :?:
Might change my name to Minesadouble :)
oh I see...am slow tonight you mean mine's a tea not mines at tea. :oops: :oops: well it is late and I am very tired... :oops:

Rank 130 ...I thought that CRGS took less than 100 but given my dimness tonight I might be wrong.
First timer I too worried when DD took her 11+ last year that the huge increase in numbers (highest ever) would push the pass/entry mark up.For what it is worth it was slightly lower than two years before (percentage wise)when her elder sister got in.
I think the recession does cause some people to do the 11 + who wouldn't normally but doesn't mean they will get in.Please don't despair about numbers.
Wishing you soooo much luck and having gone through it twice, anything I can do to help , not sure you need it, just Pm me. :D
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Hi Chelmsford mum,

Yes, CRGS only take in 96 but I suppose some boys will be on both the CRGS and KEGS' lists so those who put KEGS as first choice (and scored highly enough to secure a place) can be discounted from the CRGS list.

Thanks for your kind words. I am getting a bit stressy. I started prep for this a bit late in the day and if he doesn't get in will always wonder what if I'd started sooner...
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moved

Post by moved »

First timer

I have had many pupils over the years who have begun in the summer holidays and who have passed with flying colours. Do not despair it just means that work is more intensive over a shorter period of time.

Best of luck.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Thanks.

Yes, intensive is exactly what it is at the moment! DS has had a sporty day so far. Might be time to change the mood now... :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

I give my late starters a time table. They can cross off the days after they have done the work. One of my poor victims (sorry pupils) has a paper each night and two each weekend day. But then he did start in September having recently moved here.

On the plus side it is working. He is doing well and understands that it is very short term. Some of my pupils will start with Brentwood/Felsted scholarship preparation immediately the 11+ is over.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Sorry for the confusion I did mean rank of 130 not score.

Many of DS 's year seem to come from the Chelmsford area so I would agree that CRGS seems easier to get into at the moment.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think the Kent 11+ might be "easy" judging by the level of debate in that forum .......... that was supposed to be a funny comment but I know it doesn't sound it.

What do you mean by easy? The most practical definition would be one where the "pass-mark" requires the lowest ability level in comparison with other schools / 11+ areas.

Now, I thought that in counties which have the 11+ right across them (like the majority of Kent) it was generally the top 25% of the population that get in.

Where it is just one selective school in isolation, with high scores having higher priority in the admissions policy than lower scores, then this has to be harder as the cut-off is likely to much higher than the top 25% of the population - maybe even the top 5% or less in some particularly selective schools.

How hard or easy the paper feels on the day is irrelevant as some have pointed out.