Madness

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

I reckon that our fiver an hour tutor (group) has a 98% pass rate. And no £180. Someone could set up shop in your region, meet a need (because, let's face it, none of this is going to go away) and not rip poor parents off. Parents who only want the best for the children, or an approximation of best.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I just don't think it is "right". The fees are out of proportion to the service offered.I personally wouldn't pay £30 for one to one but in a group!Crazy :shock:

I did think about offering to help myself but...then I thought what if the child didn't pass ? :oops: Do people who are willing to pay that amount demand results?
I still don't think you can buy 11+ success entirely.At least in the case of superselectives the margins are too narrow between pass/ fail to ensure success.I also know too many children tutored in school from yr 5 (indep schools) and having a tutor on top of that who don't get in.
I find it hard to see the tutors who are charging these amounts as doing anything other than capitalising on parental anxiety.I suppose its just another example of a free market economy but it is increasingly pricing large swathes of people out of the chance of a good education.

I still think that the 11+ exam should change enough from year to year so that it is less predictable.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not all tutors are like that though, some of us could almost pass for human in a good light...

:wink:
marigold

Post by marigold »

Chelmsford Mum,

I have heard of this woman too, in fact she tutors the daughter of a "playground acquaintance" . I believe the words " I am not here to make her like me but to get her through the 11plus " were used at the initial meeting.

Everything you were told is true, lots of shouting, lots of homework and all from year 4.
Another friend of mine who has a very bright daughter and who was mulling over whether or not to put her in for the 11plus heard all this, panicked and signed her daughter up to another tutor straight away.She had been planning a fairly relaxed bit of home tutoring, which in Essex at least, I fear is a thing of the past.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

You are right of course CM, but it's like a rollercoaster, and while parents are anxious about their child's education, tutors can feed off it.
There are some counties I think using exams that are apparently more tutor proof than others, but really in my view I don't think it will make a difference. Of course there are children who will pass with little preparation, and there are those who will have been tutored a bit more who get in. And then there's your definition of tutoring...and then there are websites like this with lots of advice for parents. So ot's not always easy to define where intensive tutoring starts and where familiarisation stops. But it is the whole drama surrounding it that is what annoys me. Secrecy about the amount of tuition and people like your friend who've been told it's too late to start practising all add to the panic.
God help the children when they get to GCSEs.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Looking for help wrote:In my view the schools should become more transparent in letting the would be parents know that some children are being intesively tutored for their exams so that everyone is in the know so to speak.
Exactly! I have also posted somewhere else that if the state primary's actually did some of their own preparation from about 9 mths before the tests it would give those children who do not come from familys that can afford a tutor a fair chance, it would also help those bright kids whose parents arn't motivated to to buy the practice papers etc.

The schools could easily slot it in I am sure, they have managed enough extra sats classes over the years after all! It would just mean the 11 plus would become a more equal playing field rather than the competative and unfair system it is at present! :shock:
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

You raise an interesting point, Cm. I wonder if disappointed parents become difficult with tutors. Results, in terms of school places cannot be guaranteed. A tutor could work wonders with a child but they could still miss out on a place. Maybe the £30 an hour is advance "danger money"!

Milla, I have considered taking up tutoring but I'm not convinced there is a great demand in my area. I found that I really enjoyed tutoring my DS. While I am suitably qualified and have teaching experience, I think that most parents would be looking for someone with a proven tack record in the 11+ itself.
Last edited by First-timer on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

First-timer wrote:Milla, I have considered taking up tutoring but I'm not convinced there is a great demand in my area. My DS is the only child in his school to sit the 11+ this year. I found that I really enjoyed tutoring him. While I am suitably qualified and have teaching experience, I think that most parents would be looking for someone with a proven tack record in the 11+ itself.
I think people would be relieved to have someone slightly cheaper than £30 quid! As long as you are honest about the fact there are no 100% guarantees .....
Tiredmum (could be my name :D ), there will never be consistent policy on Primary schools helping out with 11+.I know a couple that do 11+ tuition in the lunch times but it is because the Head is pro grammmars. It is such a political hot potato, many schools prefer to leave it alone.Many teachers and many people do not agree with grammars in the first place, so will not be seen to support them.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Chelmsford mum wrote:[ there will never be consistent policy on Primary schools helping out with 11+.I know a couple that do 11+ tuition in the lunch times but it is because the Head is pro grammmars. It is such a political hot potato, many schools prefer to leave it alone.Many teachers and many people do not agree with grammars in the first place, so will not be seen to support them.
Yeah I know, but its a great shame as so many bright kids from poorer or not family motivated backgrounds dont get the chance they deserve, a chance that could open up a totally new pathway in life for them :wink:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Yeah I know, but its a great shame as so many bright kids from poorer or not family motivated backgrounds dont get the chance they deserve, a chance that could open up a totally new pathway in life for them
Which was, of course, the whole raison d’etre of grammar schools in the first place.

But in my area the GS are so good that everyone wants to access them – if you can get a first-class education for your DCs without having to pay for private education, why wouldn’t you?

The problem, as ever, is that there just aren’t enough good schools. All our DCs deserve the best possible education, but they aren’t all getting it and none of the political parties seems to have the answer (apologies for the brief foray into politics, but it drives me mad).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now