Preparation for secondary school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

slackmum

Preparation for secondary school

Post by slackmum »

Trying to think ahead a little, so asking advice of year 7 parents and above, what preparation do we need to do for the transition to secondary school. DS currently walks to small village school (65 plus kids) so I know the travel and size are going to be considerations along with the fact that I will not be in the playground to nag him about all the items he has forgotten. I also think time management and organisation are going to be key but are there any other issues I need to think about to make the move less stressful for both of us?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Well I wished that Ed had got into the discipline of nightly homework, when he first started in year 7. It took a while but he's now much better.

There are two ways of looking at it - prepare them now so there is less stress later OR leave them to enjoy their last few months of year 6 in the knowledge that things will slot into place eventually.
Freya

Post by Freya »

I'd stop being in the playground to remind him of forgotten items. Wait in the car park or outside the gates and send him back for each item. I wish I'd done more of this because DS was terrible at the start of Y7 and it didn't even cross his mind to think about what he needed to bring home or even where it was in school. He is much better now but we could have started training much earlier in Y6.

With homework I would get him to do any he has straight away before settling down to play / relax. I don't think he has to be made used to homework every night at this point - yes let him enjoy his last year at primary but at least if he gets in the habit of doing any homework set straight away then the habit is set ready for secondary.

Teach him to tie a tie if he doesn't wear one already and have him practice buttons on cuffs.

It is a very big change to move to secondary and there will be loads of things that are different, scary, challenging but I'm not sure if anything can be done to prepare in advance. Confidence boosting would be good and practising independence. How will he travel to secondary? Can he practise the route in advance? Getting him to speak for himself in various situations is good too - have him order his own meal in a restaurant (with you there too obviously), have him ask for an item in his size in a shoe / clothes shop, have him ask someone for directions and then follow them.

That's all I can think of for now - hope it helps and good luck to your DS!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
andyb

Post by andyb »

With DS I stopped checking that he had everything he needed each day - I felt it was better in the long run for him to get into trouble for forgetting something in the familiar surroundings of primary school than fall foul of new teachers at secondary.

Practice catching a bus - asking the driver for a ticket to his destination was quite a challenge for a child who won't speak for himself ever! We did similar things to what Freya mentioned - ask for something in a shop, order food in McDonalds.

Get into the habit of doing homework on the night it is set. One piece held over from Monday means 5 pieces to do on Tuesday etc.

DS found the induction day in July very useful as he got to meet some of the other new boys, they were put into temporary form groups and given short taster lessons - moving from room to room for different lessons was all new. They also got to try out the canteen - he'd only had packed lunches before.

Name absolutely everything - irremovable name tags in clothing, big black marker pen for bags, sports equipment, stationery etc that way if something does go astray it should find its way back (eventually).

In the first few weeks join some clubs - it broadens the circle of friends and makes them less reliant on friends from primary. DS tried out more clubs than there were lunchtimes but has now whittled them down to what he really enjoys.

When DS started in September obviously things went wrong - he forgot text books for homework due in the following day, he missed the bus, he was late to class after lunch because he was playing sport, he lost his PE kit - and at the time it seemed like the end of the world, but by half term everything had settled down and now it's like he's been there for ever. He still forgets things and I think he's disorganized but his form tutor thinks he has everything under control so there must be boys much worse :wink:.

What you and your DS should remember is that while it's all new and exciting/frightening for you, the school goes through the same thing year after year. They know all the things Y7's worry about and can deal with them and prevent them becoming an issue :) . Good luck.
onedown01

Y7 prep!

Post by onedown01 »

Bus pass, a bit of money in his pocket, travelling to school, settling into new routine and new friends seems more of a struggle than the actual level of work (I think his primary school had sort of prepared him by keeping a good HW routine even after 11+ tests were over).

Other parents I know in the same boat that I speak to - kids are more tired, struggling with the routine. Generally school support and teachers have been great so HW and school work are not too traumatic!

The only slight wobble we had was DS initially working to deadlines rather than when HW was set - 20 Maths assessment q's which were given over a week to complete would be completed the night before. Making a science model (glue need to dry and paint, would be done the night before). DS said his one main learning point is start work earlier!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

At the beginning of the term, I would have said "prepare them for the homework".My yr 7 absolutely coasted yr 6 in a school which barely ever set homework and was a token exercise when it was set.
The first few weeks she made the classic errors of leaving larger assignments till last and putting off what could have been done earlier etc.. This was despite my "advice" to her.I had several moments of frustration reflecting on her year 6 in a very average local school and wishing that perhaps I had prepared her more somehow.
However by the end of the term, she has twice in the last fortnight stayed till 5 at school to do homework and also completely self organised her revision for a large science test.She now brings me vocab for language tests to test her on.
This took the whole term really for her to "get in the groove".In retrospect whilst no homework last year was not ideal, I would not re run the year and set her work! They all "get there" in the end.
We have had forgotten items too and she has texted in a a panic and I have said " just be as apologetic and polite as you can" :roll: .Most schools make some allowances in the first term.She did lose her buss pass once and had to go to the office to be lent money. :roll:
It's all part of growing up and whilst practical steps can help, e.g practising the journey, emergency money etc, nothing beats the real experience.
My year 7 has grown up a lot this term...they all do :cry: