Who opens the letter?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Who opens the letter?

Post by patricia »

Dear All

Who will open the letter on national allocation day?

This subject has been brought up in the Essex section by Gina, I believe its a topic that merits a 'nationwide' debate, it did last year, we all have different ideas/attitudes/thoughts.

viewtopic.php?t=344&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Patricia
Laid back Son,Worried Mum

Post by Laid back Son,Worried Mum »

Dear Dame Patricia

Last time for older child, the letter from the LEA was addressed to the parent of .... so I opened it. (3 yrs ago) It said..Dear Parent etc etc
jah

Post by jah »

Not sure how to manage this one. I am planning to collect letter from home (if it has arrived) before I collect daughter from school. I think that I will leave it in car; so we will open it together in the car outside school. Then she can decide whether she wants to go back and tell her teacher.
Nou

Post by Nou »

I have signed up for the online notification but will still receive a letter from the LEA. If I receive good news online, I will leave the letter unopened for my daughter. If bad, then obviously I won't put her through the ordeal of opening it! Actually on principle, I think the kids should be the first to know.
jah

Post by jah »

Thinking back. Year 10 daughter opened letter; I asked have you got a place and she said I don't know, you read it. It was good news, but couched in very official language.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Not sure about other parts of the country, but if your child has an offer from one of the KE Foundation Grammars in Birmingham, then you get 3 letters:
  • 1 from the LEA with the allocation
    1 from the Head of the allocated Grammar School, and
    1 from the head personally addressed to your child.
The letters from the school have the schools name on top so its not difficult to work out the results.

Incidently, if you live outside Birmingham in Worcs LEA they post it 2nd class on the 1st March so that letter won't arrive till the 3rd or later!
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

We will just get one letter from LEA on March 2nd and post comes around 11.00.a.m. I will open letter myself and then put it back into a new envelope for daughter to open later.

Sneaky, yes, but at least I will have had 4 hours to prepare myself.

I definitely will not be telling other parents at school of her results until she knows herself.

Good Luck to you all.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I think in our house it will depend on when the letter comes. If it's Friday and my child is at school then I don't think I will be able to resist opening it. If it's Saturday and we are all at home then I think we will let her open it.

In our case we aren't on tenterhooks since we know she's passed the exam and we are in catchment so we are pretty much assured of the place. I think.

<<<retires to nibble a bit more on fingernails and places where fingernails used to be>>>
ik

Post by ik »

I feel that:
Parents/guardians should open the letters first, then they should put them back in the envelopes. The children can then open the letters privately and share their emotions with their parents afterwards.

By Ik's daughter
Terri

Post by Terri »

My daughter has insisted that she should open the letter and I agree with her- she did the tests afterall.
Haing said that - I thought the idea of reading the letter first and putting it in a new envelope was inspired !

Good luck to all
Terri
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now