Ideas for reading books

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

I hadn't heard of Percy Jackson so thanks for the tip - and funnily enough I had an email today mentioning the forthcoming film that KE hopeful noted is out on 12th Feb;

"It is impossible not to like Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series, for the wit with which it brings Greek myths into the modern world, and for turning his own son’s dyslexia and ADHD into the attributes of a demigod. The new Twentieth Century Fox film of Percy Jackson and the Lighting Thief, released on 12 February and directed by Chris Columbus (of Harry Potter 1 and 2), preserves the wonderful line from the book: "You are dyslexic because your brain is hardwired for Ancient Greek." It also conveys some information about Greek mythology: that if you chop off one of the heads of a Hydra, for instance, two heads grow back. [...] Pierce Brosnan (as Chiron the 'sen-tower') looked rather silly with his waist where a horse’s neck begins - but then, let’s face it, not as silly as he was singing in Mamma Mia. [...] Steve Coogan as Hades is more of a hippy than an evil genius."

Overall, the reviewer (admittedly from the book industry) does prefer the books, but this sounds good for a half term wet/cold day treat.

"The script is not nearly as clever as Riordan’s writing, and the characterisation less rich. All in all, the book is more in love with the mythology than the film, which instead is in love with action. "

For full review see:
http://bookbrunch.co.uk/index.php?optio ... Itemid=117

** I have no relationship with film or book promoters!!**

DC
zorro

Post by zorro »

We will definitely be going to see this over half term. DS has seen the trailer on TV and it looks great.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Perplexed 2009 wrote:The Graveyard Book as a read aloud (first page a bit scary).

Ribblestrop (10yrs+) by Andy Mulligan

Just Henry (read aloud) by Michelle Magorian

The Battle of the Sun by Jeanette Winterson

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

The Silver Blade and The Red Necklace (French Revolution) by Sally Gardner
thanks for adding in the authors!
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
mushroom

Books for Girls?

Post by mushroom »

Lot's of good suggestions for boys and I've made a note of many that I wasn't aware of. The Harry Potter audio tapes worked for my DS and needing to keep the interest up I was searching this topic for ideas as to what to suggest after he finishes the Alex Rider series.

Current ambition is to get my DD aged 8 similarly engaged in the not too distant future. Any ideas as to what books / audio books might help her?

Thanks
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Another vote for Percy Jackson series. DS2 went through each within 48hrs if not less :shock: (completely unputdownable, apparently.)

Even refusing to see film as it would spoil the book. :lol:
rosered100

Re: Books for Girls?

Post by rosered100 »

mushroom wrote: .....I was searching this topic for ideas as to what to suggest after he finishes the Alex Rider series.
We've had problems with what to read after Alex Ryder as it's so fast moving & exciting other books can seem a bit dull. The Chris Ryan Alpha Force series was good but the Code Red series were not so great (only tried one but couldnt get far). Currently DS is reading a Garth Nix book Mister Monday & says its really good, very unusual. It's in the Keys to the Kingdom series.
It's so hard to keep up with books now that he has the bug. He wants a war book next. We* did read The Machine Gunners, which was very good but I think he's wanting more action in the trenches type of story. Any recommendations? I remember reading All quiet on the Western Front but I think I was a couple of years older. He's also talking about Lord of the Rings but I remember them as heavy going.

* Note I say 'we' as I have to read all the books that he does so that we can have a kind of book club discussion/dissection afterwards & I'm quite enjoying the books as well, though he's asked me not to read the Chris Ryans as they have some 'rude' words in them.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

How about Michael Morpurgo - Private Peaceful. My son has read and enjoyed lots of his books. Or the Cherub series of books by Robert Muchamore.
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

twinkles wrote:How about Michael Morpurgo - Private Peaceful. My son has read and enjoyed lots of his books. Or the Cherub series of books by Robert Muchamore.
I always check out the Michael Morpugo books on a library trip as I think War Horse would be good but I have 5 (yes, you read correctly) libraries within a 5 minute drive & none of them do any of his books for older than I'd say an 8 year old :(
Will check out the Cherub series but I'm now under strict instructions to get Grim Tuesday & no other book will be tolerated meanwhile! (on the cusp of becoming a teenager :roll: )
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now