Can state schooled children get into independent/grammar sch

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Bo Beep

Our daughter had no coaching whatsoever for the 11plus. Partly it was less common, even a few years ago, and partly we were told by the school that she was a 'dead cert' (!). However good the claims might be about the 11 plus measuring natural intelligence, it can obviously go spectacularly wrong sometimes.

The comp. seemed as good to us as the grammars in its own way and we got a place, so it wasn't really an issue. Our second daughter followed to the comp., but our son (Year 5), influenced by friends, is keen on the boys grammar, despite absolutely no encouragement from us. We're not great believers in children of 10 deciding about their own education, but as we're in Bucks the whole school takes the 11 plus. He's as good as the next boy so he could pass. Otherwise we'd have to withdraw him as we did with our second daughter who wanted to follow her sister to the comp. So we'll probably will let him take it, but not make a big deal of it. Secretly we're hoping he doesn't make it (is this unfair of us?!).

Geoffrey
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Bo Peep

Sorry, forgot to mention Bucks only test VR.

Geoffrey
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Thanks for this Geoffrey, it is as I suspected.

If they had tested her in english and maths - which she was already achieving very well in, she would have most likely passed with flying colours. Still - it clearly all turned out for the best in the end.

It's great that your local comp was as good as the grammar - not so in my area where we have 120 places in the grammar with in excess of 1,000 children applying.

I had to laugh about you secretly hoping your son doesn't pass his 11plus...well at least he won't be under any pressure!

Post by Guest »

My child attained level 5's and goes to an independent school, having attended a state primary, so if it's just academics your concerned about then she should be fine, there are other issues. I would prepare/familiarise her (format, content, timing) for the entrance tests though.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

Simone, my eldest son was at the local primary before passing his 11plus and getting a place in the grammar school. He's now top of the class in most subjects and really loving it - so yes indeed, it can be done.

My issue (as Geoffrey has demonstrated) is that without any familiarisation (which kids in private schools tend get) of the papers, even the brightest kid is at a distinct disadvantage. So, as long as your daughter understands what the exam is about, what is expected of her, and can work to the required speed, she will be fine. She stands as much chance as anyone else - provided she is familiar with the papers and format.

Post by Guest »

Thanks to all for your responses - she is preparing for the entrance exam for some time now.

We are using NFER Nelson and Bond mostly- for those who have had children taking the 11+ for both grammar and independent school - i am using the correct materials?

SP
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now