Who are we that post here?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

no longer going through the ordeal as a parent ( although have done twice)

but
we have been through grammar school ourselves; yes, all girls
we had a successful education;yes, overall, with a few hiccups
we probably went to university; yes, but not until I was 30
we are probably professional / middle class. probably!
Some other questions.
How many of us are teachers or work in education? yes, but not until I was 37, left school at 17 because I didn;t want to be a teacher
How many of us have chips on our shoulders? Moi??
Amber

Post by Amber »

I can't even find the questions you have all answered, so not sure what that says about my intelligence...

Actually, I wish this forum was called something other than '11+ Exams: Head for success'. The scope and depth of discussions on here are way beyond 11+ and more interesting too. I think it is something of a turn-off; though I suppose you could argue that those of us who make it through are a select little band and perhaps quality is more important than quantity?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It's the way the site has evolved Amber. It did start off, and still is primarily for, the 11+ but over the years it has been established it's evolved into the premier resource for educational/school advice/guidance for parents (in my opinion).
um

Post by um »

It's been really interesting reading the posts.
I come from an extremely mixed family - both in terms of origin with my immediate Grandparents alone representing 4 different countries, but also in terms of class, which is a mixture of very upper class, middle class and very working class!
I had a good education - mainly but not all private - but it was on a scholarship, as we were not rich for most of my childhood. However my upbringing was very dysfunctional with little support and lots of aggro - I left home at 16 and had my eldest child (who just got into 1st choice Grammar!) when I was a teenager.
At that time I had nothing - His father didn't want responsibility at that time and never saw the baby till he was 4 months old. I stayed with relatives and baby slept in a drawer on some old bedding pulled out from the bottom of the chest, whilst I had an old mattress. No money for educational toys or anything like that until he was a toddler. So I suppose he's not your typical Grammar school story. But I do have a stubborn streak and have tried to do the very best for him in everything.
Middle class? Probably am pretty typical middle class now, its been quite a journey. But we don't live in a middle class area though.
I do work in education myself now which has been a help. I don't have a degree and am not a teacher.
Chip on my shoulder - in all honesty, no. I just want my kids to be in a school environment where they are happy, feel safe and can learn without hindrance, and this is what has fuelled my 'quest' for Grammar school entry.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

um wrote:But I do have a stubborn streak and have tried to do the very best for him in everything.
Thats the way to go UM :wink:
Impossible is Nothing.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Speculation - There are more women than men on this site.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
mad?

Post by mad? »

DarkEnergy wrote:Speculation - There are more women than men on this site.
Definitely...although some times it's very hard to tell...
mad?
moved

Post by moved »

I often get called sir in my classroom so perhaps I'm a man.
mad?

Post by mad? »

moved wrote:I often get called sir in my classroom so perhaps I'm a man.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I sometimes get called 'luv'...so perhaps I'm not.
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

The work I do now involves only first names, or, in some cases, just the sign language for my initial. Reduces any power-crazy tendencies I might have, at least in a professional setting. To compensate, my own children have to call me Ma'am.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now