Does Class Still exist in Britain? 10am Sunday 10th April

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Does a classless society ever exist anywhere in this world? I think not, just that at times it may be worse and wider than other times. Infact personally I really dont feel like Britain has the widest social class, there is worse out there. The government here tries hard with its social welfare and government handouts to make those without have a fairly comfortable life. Infact I struggle to really see any real poverty in this country. Free NHS, free schools, free benefits, free school dinnners, free computers. I could go on, of course its paid by the taxes which are getting quite high but then everyone has food on the table and goes to school and get treated for free.

I really dont think the fact people with money hanging out with those equally loaded its because they look down upon others. Some do but I think for most people its just the way it is that we feel comfortable hanging out with those of the same status as ourselves. Just knowing someone is wealth is enough to indimidate most people and no meaningful conversation can therefore be ever made on that basis and anything said can be misinterpreted. I think infact success is really frowned upon in our society and I dont blame those with money keeping to themslves for fear of being misinterpreted and then judged on.
In Britain people considered of lower social standing can earn high incomes, but an individual's social class is still largely assessed by their parent's mannerisms, education and the status.
Wikipedia

Oh dear I feel like i was just waffling and it seems social class means a completely different thing to what I was talking about :oops: I thought class was defined by how wealth but it doesnt look like. I wonder where I am on that hierachy having parents whose highest education was year 6 equivalent and with no idea which hand to hold a fork or knife :cry:
Impossible is Nothing.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I agree with you Sherry however there are people with wealth and act decently who just weren't born within a certain social circle and they are still excluded. It is all very subtle as I alluded to. They will be very chatty, even talk weekly on the phone but that's as far as it goes whereas other mothers and children are invited to numerous events. My worst experience was when I shared the school run with a parent and when she had a Bonfire Party inviting virtually everyone in the class bar two families and us I was shocked. I would have put that person first on the list because we shared the school run on a daily basis.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I agree with you Sherry however there are people with wealth and act decently who just weren't born within a certain social circle and they are still excluded.
I just learnt that today :cry: I thought wealthy = upper class, how wrong was I. Wikipedia opened my eyes and I feel terribly embarrassed about waffling on something I didnt know about. Here is a nice cheer to myself as I and my children shall die as classless persons, an alien maybe :roll:
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now