Any schools real 11+ test during Sep/Oct

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

muvvalac

Re: Any schools real 11+ test during Sep/Oct

Post by muvvalac »

Amber wrote:For me it is the idea of being prepared to take a child 'anywhere in the south east' to sit an exam for a school he has no intention of ever attending, just to improve his chances of getting into another school. Like others, I feel it is disingenuous to the school, wasteful of resources and unfair on the child.
come on , be practical. there is nothing about wasting the resources. i am a tax payer as like everyone of you. school is giving you chance to take up the test for all children. so use the chance if you want/can. when the school thinks this is a overhead then they will change their policies. dont think from school/govt point of view but think from ur child point of view.

The best you can give your child is Education so don't compromise but try to give child more chances if he can take it up

infact as someone suggested wilsons/wallington have their exams conducted and results declared before filling CAF. so if my son attends/passes then i will put that school into my CAF so we are sure that already he got pass mark in one test so the child will be relaxed for other tests.

no one's attitude is same as others so plan as per your and your child's attitude

good luck to all

PS: Many parents think that all grammar schools are same and they are not same for sure. Read through Ofsted reports and look at their facilities and try to match with your requirements. It is my opinion. Don't rely too much on open day speeches , the head masters are really marketing their schools. Marketing means always they say good thing, they don't say what are negatives of their school. Paretns need to understand that.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Medway do 11 plus in sept. No non-verbal though
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Muvvalac, we are clearly not going to change your views on this.

May I ask- Have you much experience yet of the stress of either taking exams yourself or taking children through the exam process?

We all appreciate the importance of education - that is why we are here. However we do feel that taking your child around endless tests assuming that they will pass them and then you will be offered places is unfair to your child, the school and other children.

However just make sure you read the info about the schools .

Wilsons and Wallington clearly state that not all those who pass can be offered a place - just passing guarantees nothing.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

hermanmunster wrote:Muvvalac, we are clearly not going to change your views on this.

May I ask- Have you much experience yet of the stress of either taking exams yourself or taking children through the exam process?

We all appreciate the importance of education - that is why we are here. However we do feel that taking your child around endless tests assuming that they will pass them and then you will be offered places is unfair to your child, the school and other children.

However just make sure you read the info about the schools .

Wilsons and Wallington clearly state that not all those who pass can be offered a place - just passing guarantees nothing.
Thanks for your information, well appreciated.

Wilsons and Wallington clearly state that not all those who pass can be offered a place - just passing guarantees nothing ---- This is true with any school, pass does not mean place is offered
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

PS: Many parents think that all grammar schools are same and they are not same for sure. Read through Ofsted reports and look at their facilities and try to match with your requirements. It is my opinion. Don't rely too much on open day speeches , the head masters are really marketing their schools. Marketing means always they say good thing, they don't say what are negatives of their school. Paretns need to understand that.
I wholly agree with this. We only chose two grammar school for our DS because we based the choices solely on how these schools would suit him in ALL ways, both on an academic level and a personal level.

We looked at grammar schools that had an excellent reputation and OFSTED report, but that didn't suit him as a person. We were criticised many times for not putting more grammar schools on our CAF, but stand by the limited choices that we made.

As it happened, we ended up having to appeal for the school we most wanted due to over subscription, and thankfully achieved a place through appeal. There were two grammar schools that we could have been offered if we had put these on our form, both of which we didn't feel would suit DS, so I personally am glad that I didn't put more on my form, as DS would now be faced with going to a grammar school just not suited to him otherwise.

It isn't just about a grammar school education. It is about a school that BEST suits the child academically, socially and personally. Get the balance right and you're halfway there.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Wilsons and Wallington have maths, VR and English papers. There is no multiple choice.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

surreymum wrote:Wilsons and Wallington have maths, VR and English papers. There is no multiple choice.
sure , thanks, is it a generally tough to go thru these two exams. Should the child be very good or excellent to pass.

what kind of test papers can be used as practice/sample papers
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do what ever you want Muvallac. Sorry have no helpful information for you. Love your user-name - sounds like a stool bulking agent.

Exam stress - well some children don't start out having it, but their parents, teachers or other children do and they pass it on. I see this in pre-school dance exams. Most kids that age just love the idea of someone watching them dance as no-one at home really has that much patience to watch properly, so they waltz in happily and do whatever they feel like doing or not doing. But one or two parents sound tense about the word exam, make it sound like it really matters, and those can be the tiny minority that don't want to go in or burst into tears.

All you have to do in an 11+ exam is read some questions and write some answers or tick some answer boxes. More practice can mean less stress if you have caught it from parents / other children. I got to the point with exams that I'd done so many of them I couldn't stop thinking about what I was going to shop for afterwards and eat that evening. Maybe a little stress is better ........ It's not going to kill them is it?
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

mystery wrote:Do what ever you want Muvallac. Sorry have no helpful information for you. Love your user-name - sounds like a stool bulking agent.

Exam stress - well some children don't start out having it, but their parents, teachers or other children do and they pass it on. I see this in pre-school dance exams. Most kids that age just love the idea of someone watching them dance as no-one at home really has that much patience to watch properly, so they waltz in happily and do whatever they feel like doing or not doing. But one or two parents sound tense about the word exam, make it sound like it really matters, and those can be the tiny minority that don't want to go in or burst into tears.

All you have to do in an 11+ exam is read some questions and write some answers or tick some answer boxes. More practice can mean less stress if you have caught it from parents / other children. I got to the point with exams that I'd done so many of them I couldn't stop thinking about what I was going to shop for afterwards and eat that evening. Maybe a little stress is better ........ It's not going to kill them is it?
[edited by Etienne - best not to give out personal information on the forum]