Any schools real 11+ test during Sep/Oct

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
muvvalac

Any schools real 11+ test during Sep/Oct

Post by muvvalac »

Hello all

can you please suggest me if any school is conducting their 11+ test in the months of Aug/Sep/Oct.

I am looking for boys/mixed school and the test should have VR or NVR or both ONLY in mulitple choice format.

It can be any location in south east england, I will use these tests as mock tests for my boy

thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Any schools real 11+ test during Sep/Oct

Post by hermanmunster »

I doubt if any are in August!! there will be some in Sept and Oct - maybe not in the south east.

Mainly you have to apply pretty soon (if the closing date has not already past...).

Concerned that you may be wasting staff time / taxpayers money / child's tolerance etc in this activity?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Kent test is in September but you have missed registration date.
Like Hermann I think it's not particularly a good idea, why put your child through a real test just for practice?
The format may not be the same as the test you are going for and it could be confusing.
um

Post by um »

Are you not able to find any actual mock tests near you that fit the bill of the real exam you want your son to pass?

The problems I can conceive with doing this are:
The test you have used as a 'mock' may be easier than the 'real' one he has to take, he will then chill out and get a shock for the 'real' one.
The 'mock' may be a lot harder, so freaking your child out unnecessarily.
You will not be likely to get any score or feedback from the 'mock' before the 'real' test, you will only be able to go by what your son says, which may drive you mad wondering..
The format may actually be different and could end up with him giving wrong answers in the 'real' one having misunderstood the format/got confused.

As you can see - if your child really could benefit from the experience of sitting in exam conditions beforehand, (this is useful for some children) or of you want feedback how he's doing, best to fork out and pay for a mock with a local company that have experience of your local exam.
Good luck!
Shaftsbury1

Post by Shaftsbury1 »

Hello Muvallac,

Both Wallington County Grammar and Wilsons have their entrance exam in September.They also give you the results before the Caf forms are filled in.

Also Sutton Grammar school's Pta hold mock tests.
muvvalac

Post by muvvalac »

Shaftsbury1 wrote:Hello Muvallac,

Both Wallington County Grammar and Wilsons have their entrance exam in September.They also give you the results before the Caf forms are filled in.

Also Sutton Grammar school's Pta hold mock tests.
thanks for this really useful info

chandra
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm sorry but I really can't believe that you're thinking of doing this. As others have said it may be very confusing/stressful/distressing for your child and not even yield the result you desire.
:(
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think both this thread and the one below it (Year 3 child) illustrate how sad this whole business has become and to what lengths people are prepared to go to get (push?) their children into schools they believe to be good. I feel some despair at it all, and really do understand why Britain is considered by Unicef such a bad place to grow up. Our poor children.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well I can't believe that everyone is getting so stressy about the idea of taking a practice exam. It's not unknown for kids to take anything up to 8 exams what with GS and indies and all, even ours will likely take 4 exams this year and we're going out of our way to keep the number down to a minimum. What on earth is the big deal about one exam for practice? Get a grip folks.

Mike
Amber

Post by Amber »

For me it is the idea of being prepared to take a child 'anywhere in the south east' to sit an exam for a school he has no intention of ever attending, just to improve his chances of getting into another school. Like others, I feel it is disingenuous to the school, wasteful of resources and unfair on the child.