school journey times

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
amb

school journey times

Post by amb »

From next Sept my son will have to travel on average between 40 to 60 minutes to get to school. Depending on where he’s successful, he will have to take a mainline train and a bus to ensure he reaches school in good time.

With the darker mornings/afternoons almost upon us, anxiety about his journey and whether I should have applied to these schools in the first place has resurfaced.

If anyone can offer any advice or share experiences, I’d be happy to hear them. I understand many children travel miles to get to school nowadays.
n london dad

Travel woos

Post by n london dad »

My son also travels 12 miles to school as of this September: -

I considered several options:

1. Drop off each morning - but not practical esp. over seven years

2. public transport - only worth considering if he had company en-route

3. A 7 seater mini-cab service - but did not know enough parents to share with, and moreover due to different after school clubs they would not all be able to travel back together

4. School Coach service, pickup 2 miles from home - expensive plus if you miss the coach at 7.30am you have to go all the way by car

For now opted for 4, but considering 7 - a door-to-door service as of next month

Post by Guest »

If you think they're the schools that would suit your child I wouldn't regret your decision to apply. However, my son started Year 7 this year and travelling time was a factor in the choice of school we eventually made. We picked (after much agonising) the closest school and I've been relieved every day that he only has to travel 30-40 minutes (on public transport). With the demands of homework, I'm glad he gets home at around 4.30/4.40 rather than 5.30 which might have been the case with some of the other schools. They also do want to do some after-school stuff, which is important for making friends, and this is more problematic with a long journey.
amb

Post by amb »

Unfortunately, the schools closest to us were not the right schools for my son - typical reasons i'm sure many of you will be familiar with. 1 of the schools is a (already sinking) new academy! Frustrating, to say the least.

A coach service is an option and something I would consider. However, the 1 pick up/drop off time is a sticky point. An early start in the mornings seems unavoidable.

Post by Guest »

QUESTION

Compared to say 10-20 yrs ago, what percentage of children make a short trip on foot to their above (state) average performing school, where they are happy?

I'll start by saying less than 40% in London.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now