School application/registration forms

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Curious

School application/registration forms

Post by Curious »

The content of (state & private) schools application/registration forms might not be something one should dwell on at this time but I was just wondering why schools are increasingly asking personal (in my opinion, intrusive, not relevant questions) and for a photograph of your child to be attached to your form. Any comments?
sleepless

why are authorities asking for irrelevant information

Post by sleepless »

Becuase they are downright nosy and like to have a good laugh I suspect.

Ask them though, they might have a good explanation (Do not government bodies always have a good explanation??) me thinks not!!!

Post by Guest »

Well one state school that we have applied to asks for two recent 'photos so that the child can be verified on the day of the entrance exam. I suspect that they have had cases of older brothers/cousins kindly sitting exams on behalf of candidates in the past :shock:

WRT independent schools some of the questions are undoubtedly for snob value and to assess ability to pay fees eg profession of parents, family members who have attended school in the past.

Post by Guest »

All points accepted but I agree with the above in particular.

It’s terribly hypocritical of independent schools to gauge financial/social status this way. I ask myself, why on earth do they offer scholarships and bursaries in the first place?

We’ve visited a good few independent schools and found many of them shabby, cold and uninviting. It amazes me how they can justify their high fees (irrespective of academic performance).

If you feel your child is a good scholarship candidate and/or a bursary is required, apply I say!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now