New to 11+ - Help required please

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: New to 11+ - Help required please

Post by Amber »

Well, you will tell me that boys prefers maths and non-fiction books ans have a 'different mind'... But I don't think that girls always outperforms boys. It seems rather odd to me that a 4 yer old girl would already feel 'superior'!!
Girls tend, on the whole, to write more neatly, draw prettier pictures and sit still more obediently than boys. Because most teachers of small children tend to be female, the girls might also relate more closely to them and try to please them. The 'naughtification' of certain children, mostly boys, starts very early in education, and if we are not careful, it carries on. The presentation issue is one which has arguably contributed to the improved GCSE results of girls over boys where coursework contributes to grade. Teachers, parents and other children are impressed by prettiness of work from a very early stage; and equally they are unimpressed by fidgeting, drawing very quickly and not colouring in the lines. Sadly.
Milla

Post by Milla »

I still remember a parents' evening in Y3, I think, where 4 and a half of the precious 5 mins of the time allocated to us to discuss our son's progress went on her huffing and puffing about him and 2 other boys (said with a heavy sigh, "boys!") having "been silly on the mat at quiet time." Well, really. Sorry for veering OT. It's Friday.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Milla wrote:I still remember a parents' evening in Y3, I think, where 4 and a half of the precious 5 mins of the time allocated to us to discuss our son's progress went on her huffing and puffing about him and 2 other boys (said with a heavy sigh, "boys!") having "been silly on the mat at quiet time." Well, really. Sorry for veering OT. It's Friday.
Love going OT. Milla were we not a million miles away I'd think our DC were at the same school. My Y3 parents evening was 4.5 minutes from 5 of huff puff 'madette needs to make more effort to help Master Milla be sensible on the mat at quiet time'. I think gender stereotyping starts subliminally very early...'men are stupid and need to be saved from themselves by women who need to stop worrying about their own goals an focus on saving the men' :P
mad?
Milla

Post by Milla »

:D :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now