KenR wrote:
Therefore, the standardisation is entirely unfair system
Obviously a founder member of the Flat Earth Society
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mad?
mystery

Re: Standardised Scores

Post by mystery »

In answer to your question Yurgen, and I could be wrong, but I think standardisation is not done that way. It attempts to iron out differences in score caused by the differing ages sitting the test that day, but is done against a larger population than the one sitting the test that day... not sure exactly how though. I think there's quite a detailed explanation somewhere on the NFER website.

Purplerose, I think you've got it all a bit wrong - particularly the bit about Kent not having age standardisation, or all independent schools not having standardisation.

Did you ever have your IQ tested as a child? If you have, you will appreciate it is age standardised. Otherwise you would have found that your IQ soared from early to late childhood ............ not very likely.

Certainly the highly selective independent school I went to standardised the results. Otherwise they were more likely to have had a preponderance of autumn born children in the year group.

The stats are complicated; don't damn them until you understand them a bit more.

And no it's not year 7 that the children are being selected for. They are being selected for being in the top 25% of the population by some kind of measure of ability. It should not be a measure of who got the furthest in the year 5 or year 6 syllabus as that is a measure of what they have been taught, not ability. The various 11+ tests around are already pretty imperfect measures, but to scrap age standardisation would not improve the test.
bustwinks

Re: Standardised Scores

Post by bustwinks »

Mystery...if I could find a "like" button, I would certainly like your post!