Standardised Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jules7

Re: Standardised Scores

Post by Jules7 »

If there was no age standardisation we would be assuming that all children had equal chance irrespective of birth month and that the same mean score and standard deviation would be obtained across the months. This is simply not the case. The summer born children are compared against each other and the average mark is less than for those born the previous autumn. This can't be because autumn borns are generally more intelligent - that isn't logical. It is because a significant number of the summer borns are not so developed. It is a difficult-to- swallow but true observation. Have a look at the Bucks thread where we are discussing some October raw vs standardised scores. It is incredible. I think the main problem lies in that with more and more children being better prepared, there is less discrimination and 1 silly mistake in the raw score can cost a massive difference in a standardised score.
KenR

Post by KenR »

this standardisation is the most unfair system ever created. I do wonder who was so "clever" that invented it!!!!
Nobody actually invented standardisation, it's based on well established scientific research which shows that significant anomalies occur if you use raw scores - an example of the mathematics behind the process is available from, although this is a chargeable paper.

http://apm.sagepub.com/content/14/4/387.full.pdf+html

It's exactly the same as the adjustments to the 11+ questions that has to be done to eliminate gender bias in NVR tests otherwise far more boys would pass the NVR part of the exam than girls. This is done by conducting several rounds of trials by the exam compiler to eliminate bias.
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

purplerose69 wrote:Sorry, allow me to disagree! If anyone is going through this 11+ saga, as I said earlier, then obviously the child is being prepared whether at home or coached by a tutor. Well, without preparation there iso point doing 11+ anyway. I have friends who start from Year 4 - it is entirely up to the family and the individual case. The score should be rough and not standardised!!!They all apply for Year 7 at the end of the day. Why should a younger child be given a chance to make more mistakes than a slightly older? IT IS AN EXAM AND THE CONDITIONS SHOULD BE EQUAL TO EVERYONE!!! We are not applying for year 6, 7 and 8 - we are applying for year 7 ONLY!!!! It is a tough time, that's true, but this standardisation is the most unfair system ever created. I do wonder who was so "clever" that invented it!!!!
What are you disagreeing with? It is a fact that younger children do not perform as well in tests. Are you saying it's because Summer born children are less intelligent than Autumn born children? It doesn't matter what year they started preparing in - they have been alive for a shorter amount of time! :roll:
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

Capers great post.

In Essex they do not standardise for age, :( , so there must be a good reason for them to chose this path.

HD
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes, being in essex where there is no age standardisation it would be interesting to see a breakdown of birth months across the cohorts in the GS's.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There was a survey by the Good Schools Guide, sponsored by the FT, on this subject a couple of years ago:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... f=5&t=8668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to register with the FT website to see the full report and the data for every school, but I just pulled out the stats for two schools in Essex and compared them with two Bucks schools.

Figures are:
:: % expected to be July & August birthdays
:: % in the GS who are Jul/Aug birthdays
:: % in the GS who are Sep/Oct birthdays

Colchester Royal GS (boys): 22%, 18%, 30%
Dr Challoners Boys: 30%, 26%, 34%

Colchester County HS (girls): 18%, 16%, 23%
Dr Challoners Girls: 23%, 23%, 24%

Overall the study concluded that Jul/Aug born children are disadvantaged when trying to gain a grammar school place.

There was also a report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies in 2008 which showed that pupils born in September get better national exam results throughout school than August-born children, on average.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

This link is an interesting read (albeit quite long!).

http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/c ... ate_d3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be interested to know, in 11+ areas with an opt-in system such as Kent, how many summer born children are entered for the exam, compared with children born in the first 3-6 months of the academic year. My own experience is that the majority of entrants are September to Feb - this may well be skewed as I am OOC so only those deemed likely to succeed and score very highly are entered. It would interesting to know if this is also the case for those in county or in other 11+ areas.
Hopefuldad

Post by Hopefuldad »

sally-anne great stuff

looks like essex should use age standardisation to be fair to all comers
HD
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I started at a grammar school in the late 1970s. I don't know whether standardisation was then used. However, of my year group that were born btw September 1966 and August 1967, the majority of the form prizes/Oxbridge places went to those born in the last three months of 1966 when proportionately approximately 25% were born in 1966 and 75% were born in 1967.

I think if any of you can remember back to your schooldays there will be the same pattern.
drummer

Post by drummer »

purplerose69 wrote:Sorry, allow me to disagree! If anyone is going through this 11+ saga, as I said earlier, then obviously the child is being prepared whether at home or coached by a tutor. Well, without preparation there iso point doing 11+ anyway. I have friends who start from Year 4 - it is entirely up to the family and the individual case. The score should be rough and not standardised!!!They all apply for Year 7 at the end of the day. Why should a younger child be given a chance to make more mistakes than a slightly older? IT IS AN EXAM AND THE CONDITIONS SHOULD BE EQUAL TO EVERYONE!!! We are not applying for year 6, 7 and 8 - we are applying for year 7 ONLY!!!! It is a tough time, that's true, but this standardisation is the most unfair system ever created. I do wonder who was so "clever" that invented it!!!!
I am not sure why you think it is unfair. If your child is one of the oldest, say September born, then they will be compared with all the other children who are the same age (and who have the same advantage or disadvantage according to age). What could be fairer than that? No marks are taken away from older children and no marks added to the scores of younger children.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now