score format

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jules

score format

Post by jules »

Was recently told by local grammar school that pass rate last year was 118/140, can anybody explain why there are two figures given? Are they raw score/standardised score or something more cryptic? Thanks.
Simon B

Post by Simon B »

Hi Jules,

118/140 looks cryptic but is in fact a "standardised score rating".

Essentially your child will go through the exams with every other child and obtain a "raw" score - e.g. 75/85. This score is then adjusted so that younger children are scaled up, older down so as to create a level playing field - a process of "standardisation".

The scores are then adjusted to a new scale from 69 to 140 or more usually 70 to 141. Thus even if he/she did not answer one question correctly they would be 69 or 70. If they got them all correct then 140 or 141.

Thus a score of 118/140 means that after standardisation he/she will have to score at least that.

This is process is documented on this and many other eleven plus related sites.

Nfer site gives a good mathematical explanation:

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... -ranks.cfm

This eleven plus site has a genral description for those not so technical:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php
jules

Post by jules »

checked links & understand system ok, thanks for the info. Is it just me, or does this make it very difficult to work out how well my child is doing on her test papers??? :lol:
She is getting approx 130 out of 195 (VR, NVR & Maths in Kent) which seems quite low to me - it's only 66% - but I do think the pass mark is lower in areas such as ours (Maidstone) where there are 4 local grammar schools, any idea what would be the average percentage for 118/140??? :?
Simon B

Post by Simon B »

Hi Jules,

Part of the process of standardisation is to spread the field to between 69 and 140, even if the paper was really easy and everyone scored say higher than 90%.

So it is difficult to give a percentage as we do not know if it is a paper that everyone will find easy or hard, but a safe area from my past experience is over 85% (for London area).
Wish Upon A Star

Wirral pass mark

Post by Wish Upon A Star »

Do any of the Wirral Tutors please know what is the pass mark for attaining a Grammar School place as a percentage rather than a standardised score?

Thanks.

Post by Guest »

I think that the above post answers this question, as it is difficult to give a precise answer as one cohort could find the questions easier/more difficult than another. In other words, children are compared to one another.

My rule of thumb is to say that children should be aiming at the 90% mark on practise tests, as if they consistently get lower they may be borderline. However, this is not to say that they shouldn't sit the test, because as outlined before it depends on the degree of difficulty. The pass mark will change year on year.
Mary

Post by Mary »

I like so many parents am very anxious waiting for my sons results and so am looking at this forum daily and reading everyones view on what is the likely pass mark. It seems to me the whole thing is 'Unknown Teritory' and as we never will get to see what our childrens raw score we will never know how it has been worked out and I guess that is the most frustrating thing. I believe we should be notified how the score was calculated and what the average was. The other matter that I find bewildering is the practise papers. How close to the real thing are the shop bought papers. We live in Bucks so we used NFER VR and my son was scoring 88-92% but there are 85 questions when the real test has 80, why is this?? Also the practise papers that were sent to the school appeared to be harder on those my son was scoring just 74-80% and his teacher was pleased with that.
So from this how can I tell whether my son will pass??
He felt confident that he had done very well when he came out but the waiting is killing me.

Anyway its good to talk as they say.

Finally can anyone tell me how the 'result letter' is set out and what are peoples views on when to open it, should we allow our child to open it if tahts what they want. Would appreciate anyones commnets particuarly if they have been through this agony before!!

Post by Guest »

When my daughter got into grammar school, she ran along the road to meet our postman and almost grabbed the letter out of his hand. She cried when she realised she had got in - so she must have been feeling the pressure even though she said she wasn't.

Now the postman comes much later, so I suppose I will get the letter before my son does. I haven't decided how to break the news to him - he is anxious to go to the same school as his sister and will be devastated if he doesn;t get in. What an awful system this is.

Post by Guest »

My daughter gets her result this Friday. We have deciced to let her be with us when we open it so we will have to wait until after school.................... :shock:

If it is addressed to her personally, we we let her open it :o (haven't been throught his before)

If she has failed to get the cut off mark :( we will try and discuss it rationally with her to see if there is a good chance of applying for a selection review :? ...........................

Fingers, toes and everything else crossed for Friday. :wink:

Good Luck to everybody on this site in the same boat :D xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

Good luck to you - I hope your daughter is successful as it is such a great feeling when they are.