Do DC's scores improve when switch to multi choice ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

Do DC's scores improve when switch to multi choice ?

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

One for those parents who are going through teaching their DC the 11plus or those who have been through it already with their DC.

Just wondered if you can see a notable improvement in your DC's scores when they switch from answering questions where they have to write an answer to a multiple choice format, i.e. do they suddenly jump in terms of percentage of questions correct?

I wondered if this makes much of a difference having a range of answers to pick?

Thanks all :D
scarlett

Re: Do DC's scores improve when switch to multi choice ?

Post by scarlett »

I think it does make a difference because

A) they might get lucky and choose the right answer when really they have no idea

B)I found my ds did know the answer but wasn't confident it was right so would leave a space but if it was presented as one of the options then he would choose it.

C) with the vr multiple choice is easier because in some of the types it means the child can go through the options until they find the right answer. i.e putting a letter on the end of one word and which will start the next word.....mea (t) able....they just go through the letters given !!

Have you found this to be the case or are you just pondering ?! :D
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

scarlett wrote:Have you found this to be the case or are you just pondering ?! :D
Thanks scarlett

I'm just pondering and wondering once my DS starts practise papers in a year or so's time, will his marks go up when he has a choice of answers to give..

I wonder if it goes as far as upping a 60% correct answer DC to a 70% correct answer DC once they go onto multiple choice..?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh VD you are funny !! but a slight worrier too I think.I'm sure the marks do jump by quite a bit....but there's only one way to find out and that will be when your ds has a go at the practice papers !!
I always felt multiple choice is a bit easier....but don't forget if thats the case, everyone elses marks will jump too !!

Am looking foward to comparing notes with our ds for 2012. I've a feeling your son may just breeze through it all !!!
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

scarlett wrote:Oh VD you are funny !! but a slight worrier too I think.I'm sure the marks do jump by quite a bit....but there's only one way to find out and that will be when your ds has a go at the practice papers !!
I always felt multiple choice is a bit easier....but don't forget if thats the case, everyone elses marks will jump too !!

Am looking foward to comparing notes with our ds for 2012. I've a feeling your son may just breeze through it all !!!
VD? :shock:
Thanks scarlet, yes me hopes both our DS's breeze through.., now that would be fab :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Sorry Village dad :oops: .....didn't mean to offend !! :)
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

I personally think that multiple choice can also be a hindrance, as I noticed that my DD would sometimes (when pushed for time) not properly work out a maths question,and just go for what she thought "had" to be the answer.

However It did help enormosly with VR, learning to look at the answer sheet for the obvious answer.

Still panicking, now less than 2 weeks to, God I need my life back, think I will go and take the dog for a walk in this lovely sunshine!
atestingtime

Post by atestingtime »

Agree with you about the Maths, my son did the same and would go for a near enough rather than start again to see where he had gone wrong.

But for VR "find the four letter word hidden in a sentance" questions MC is a gift - you can work them out (providing they are on the front page answer booklet) before the test begins! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now