question....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mike1880

Re: question....

Post by mike1880 »

And try suppressing your belief that your time is worth so much more than that of the people you expect to provide answers. When it comes to arrogance I'm seeing it all one way so far.

Mike
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

sophiek wrote:My question is to see if I am perhaps too early to think of home tutoring for my Year 3 child. I want her to pass the 11plus and I will do anything for that to happen.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... r-3-year-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sophiek

Post by sophiek »

thank you very much! thats exactly what i was looking for! :)
sophiek

Post by sophiek »

if you see what i was responding to mike, you may realise that i was not the one being arrogant! i was being insulted and i feel it was only right for me to defend myself....!
i thought this was a forum to find advice and not a mechanism for adult bullying. pathetic! i would be happy to argue this out... but ooops i'm too busy!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hardly bullying Sophie, just several of us trying to get the crucial info to advise you properly.

You see if you had started by posting in your regional section it might have helped as there is so much variation around the country.

Also perhaps a little background about your child - some may benefit from starting in year 3 (or earlier) while others never do any preparation. Depends on them, their current schools, the schools they are aiming at and any special circumstances.
mystery

Post by mystery »

And it got some info out of you so that people could give you a helpful answer. That was the idea as other people's polite questions had failed! :wink:

Hope you can spare a few more words when briefing a barrister!
sophiek

Post by sophiek »

To be honest, I have never used a forum before and happened to stumble across this as I was looking for information about tutors. I just thought I would put a brief question out there about whether I was too early to start looking for tutors and didnt fully expect any replies.
I didnt think that LEA's etc were important at the time of posting my question but now realise that every region is different, therefore making the answer different. I only simply wanted to see what other parents were doing but instead got a comment saying about 'hoping I am not home tutoring my own child' and then about 'supressing my arrogance'- purely because I want my child to do well.
I havent been wordy with my comments as I assumed that direct and concise questions were required and I didnt want to consume people's time with long irrelevant information and chit chat.
Many thanks to the replies I have received that are relevant to my query. I apologise if I wasnt specific enough. :)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah you quote me out of context - I said I hoped you weren't home tutoring for an exam requiring any form of extended writing ...... and it was tongue in cheek!!

Lest you fear I am wasting time, I type incredibly fast ....... I taught myself when I should have been revising for my O' levels and still got a clean sweep of As.

I hope you have the information you need now. I imagine being in the south - west you need to look at this school by school? It is also worth bearing in mind that between year 3 and year 6 things could have changed to the admissions policies of the schools to which you are hoping to apply on your daughter's behalf. Currently, the Schools Adjudicator can change things as late as a couple of weeks before you complete the LEA form for stating your preferences.

Personally I don't think there is any harm in tutoring from Year 3 onwards ------ earlier if you want, if it's a good tutor and the child enjoys it. But you wouldn't want to be hammering away at 11+ type questions just yet! I quite fancy getting some Latin tuition for mine.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sophiek wrote:To be honest, I have never used a forum before and happened to stumble across this as I was looking for information about tutors. I just thought I would put a brief question out there about whether I was too early to start looking for tutors and didnt fully expect any replies.
I didnt think that LEA's etc were important at the time of posting my question but now realise that every region is different, therefore making the answer different. I only simply wanted to see what other parents were doing but instead got a comment saying about 'hoping I am not home tutoring my own child' and then about 'supressing my arrogance'- purely because I want my child to do well.
I havent been wordy with my comments as I assumed that direct and concise questions were required and I didnt want to consume people's time with long irrelevant information and chit chat.
Many thanks to the replies I have received that are relevant to my query. I apologise if I wasnt specific enough. :)
No probs - worth having a look in the region section - only trouble is that the south west can be a touch quiet.... :wink: There are one or two areas like this, Devon, Lancashire and Yorkshire.. must have it all sussed there
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

mystery was just having a bit of joke, she provides fantastic advice on this site in many different forums. :)