when can i/should i start my daughter on revision for the exams?? :D
hermanmunster

Re: question....

Post by hermanmunster »

which exams where?
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

For the VR exam in October I have started working on a weekly basis from January but have done general preparation eg make sure all tables known etc over the last year or so. DS is in year 5. At the moment it is 2 tests per week with help if necessary and no time big time pressure - I am looking for understanding of the questions and accuracy for now. We also sometimes do freerice and talk about unknown vocab or unusual vocab as we come across it. Plus I do have the word list from this site. I use a variety of papers, at the moment it is IPS. Hope that helps.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

which area are you in? The format is not standard and varies from region to region ( and sometimes from school to school)
sophiek

Post by sophiek »

south west 11 plus
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

sophiek wrote:south west 11 plus
Do these links help?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... on-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

exact lea would help.......
mystery

Post by mystery »

SophieK, being succinct is a great gift, but in this instance it isn't going to help you get any useful answers. I do hope you are not tutoring your child yourself for an exam requiring any form of extended writing. :D
sophiek

Post by sophiek »

Thats amusing, my sides..... :lol:
Being a mother to 4 children and a Solicitor, I generally don't have enough time to construct lengthy comments. I am not teaching my own children, but I should... or my husband should, being a University Scientist. May I ask you what you do? It must be impressive for such an arrogant reply to my question!
My question is to see if I am perhaps too early to think of home tutoring for my Year 3 child. I want her to pass the 11plus and I will do anything for that to happen. I came on here for advice, not criticism.... :D :D
Would appreciate a decent response please for someone! Should I leave home tutoring for a year or so or should I begin now? Many thanks
p.s thanks to the other people's advice... much appreciated! :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The answer I think depends on what the 11 plus involves in your area. Each LEA s 11 plus is different and in some cases it varies from school to school.

If the 11 plus for the schools you are looking at involve maths or english papers, then yes there are probably things you can be doing with a year 3 child - mental maths, times tables ect. Lots of reading and books such as Bond can be good.

If it involves NVR or VR then I would say that year 3 is too young to start on specific practice. Most parents on these forums seem to suggest that the beginning of year 5 is the right time for this. VR still requires some maths and a good vocab so these can be worked on younger without specifically doing VR papers.

The best place for advice on the right type of books / things to cover will come if you post in the forum for your area specifing exactly which schools/LEA you are aiming for.
Last edited by Minesatea on Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now