What would you do?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: What would you do?

Post by mystery »

I've never understood this business really of why a child might feel less pressured at a comp than a grammar. Unless your child goes to a grammar that does GCSEs etc early, loads more GCSEs etc etc (and even then most good comps offer most of these things these days, unlike the local Kent non-selectives) why should it be any different? They're going to do the same bog standard GCSEs as the rest of the world etc etc. And if they were in the top set at the local comprehensive (if it was truly comprehensive) they would be surrounded by children of grammar school ability, so what is all this stuff?
Anyhow, studies have shown it is the marginal kids who benefit most from getting in to grammar.

Someone said no correlation between grammar results and 11+ scores - what were the exact statistics this school had used in arriving at this conclusion? Which schools, which children, what numbers involved in their studies etc etc. It seems unlikely that there is absolutely no correlation unless it's based on a school with poor teaching, lazy kids etc etc.
marigold

Post by marigold »

mystery wrote: Someone said no correlation between grammar results and 11+ scores - what were the exact statistics this school had used in arriving at this conclusion? Which schools, which children, what numbers involved in their studies etc etc. It seems unlikely that there is absolutely no correlation unless it's based on a school with poor teaching, lazy kids etc etc.
At the introductory talk at my sons Grammar...KEGS in Chelmsford.....the Headmaster said that they had tracked very closely the 11plus results of entrants and their subsequent academic results for many years and said that there was absolutely no link at all between 11 plus results and GCSE/A level results. ie The boy who was ranked number one was statistically no more likely to get better results than the last one in. I believe he told us this to stop parents of boys who got in on the waiting list from worrying that their sons may not keep up and to stop the very high ranking boys from resting on their laurels.

Looking at the A level results of the school ( top 5 ) I do not think there can be any poor teachers or lazy children.
pippi

Post by pippi »

Rob Clark wrote:DCGS takes absolutely no notice of actual 11+ scores whatsoever – they are not used at all in setting and we were even given a presentation illustrating that there is no correlation between 11+ scores and GCSE results.
I think that like marigold's post, this refers to results for children at the school (ie the ones who passed the 11+ or appealed successfully) and not the whole cohort. Presumably reflects on the quality of the test, not the subsequent teaching. Bucks produced a more general report which comes to similar conclusions: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 66#p234566
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

mystery wrote:Someone said no correlation between grammar results and 11+ scores - what were the exact statistics this school had used in arriving at this conclusion?
What would you say about TWGGS? Its non selective grammar yet its beating some superselectives? Part of me thinks parents wealth is much more related to grammar results. Kent is a very good example with all the leading grammars and comps within a small radius of a much more prosperous area.
Impossible is Nothing.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I think that like marigold's post, this refers to results for children at the school (ie the ones who passed the 11+ or appealed successfully) and not the whole cohort.
Yes, quite so, pippi, sorry if I didn’t make that clear.

As regards this particular school, the answer to mystery’s question what were the exact statistics this school had used in arriving at this conclusion? is that the school charts this and has done for a number of years. They can show you the statistics which set a DS’s 11+ score against his GCSE results..

I’m not suggesting for one second that you can extrapolate from that what happens at any other school. My reason for posting this was to help the OP (who wants her DS to go to the school my DS currently attends) know that whether you get the maximum marks in the 11+ or get in on appeal doesn’t appear to have any bearing on future academic accomplishments.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes it does kind of now make sense to me that a good school would see no correlation up to A level. It might suggest that passing the test to get into that school means you have sufficient intelligence to get high grades at A level if you work as hard as you need to, and the teaching is good.

I wonder however if you looked beyond A level that children with 420 say might be more likely to be able to do certain things at degree level or beyond degree level than children with say 360?

But yes, my feeling would be that, even if you scraped into grammar, if you work hard and the teaching is good you should be able to get top grades at A' level. If you look at the proportions nationally achieving top grades subject by subject you can see that really anyone who got into a grammar school requiring one to be in the top 25% of the population should theoretically be able to get top grades.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

It would be interesting to know whether the school also charts ‘A’ level results against 11+ scores – I don’t know as DS hasn’t reached that stage yet. Also, the school sets its own exams for Y8 entry and I don’t know how it takes these boys into account in those stats (or even whether they would be included at all).

So obviously as you say mystery, it’s a very broad brush set of stats which doesn’t really tell us all that much except for providing a modicum of reassurance to parents whose DSs only just got into the school at 11+ that there’s no reason to believe their DSs will struggle once they are there.