Newbie needing some advice re: where to take 11 plus?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eob1

Newbie needing some advice re: where to take 11 plus?

Post by eob1 »

Hello there

I am new to this site so apologies if I have placed this in the wrong section. I have looked through this forum and cannot seem to find the answer I am looking for. :oops:

We currently live in North Devon and the nearest Grammar Schools / Selective Schools are in either Torquay or Plymouth (some 80 miles away). My DD will be going into year 5 in September and will take the 11 plus in 2012.

We will hopefully be moving back to Kent (Canterbury/Folkestone area) after my DD has finished in year 6. This leaves me with the question where does she take the 11 plus exam?

Would she take it under Devon as she will be in a Devon primary school in year 6 (even though she wont be going to secondary school in Devon)? or will she have to take the Kent test in order to get into a kent school? Could anyone tell me how it works?

Any advice much appreciated.
Thank you
:D
Minesatea

Re: Newbie needing some advice re: where to take 11 plus?

Post by Minesatea »

The 11 plus varies from area to area and results are not usually transferable so I would think she needs to take Kent's. I would ring Kent CC admissions and ask for advise.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi eob1

Difficult situation - needs some good planning! Your DD will have to take the Kent test in Kent. You will the have to fill in the Devon LEA CAF with the Kent schools on it.
The difficult bit comes (and we need some local advice here ) is which schools - as some of the kent GS's award places on distance and you would not have much hope from Devon, while others do it on score - score needs to be very good and if it is high enough it really doesn't matter if you live in Devon or Inverness for that matter.
I note you have put Canterbury / Folkestone - that will guiide some of the choice / options re schools.

we will await the words of wisdom from the locals!
eob1

Post by eob1 »

Thanks for both your replies. That makes things clearer. We would be moving to the Canterbury area hopefully. I was about to ask would she have to travel to kent to do the test and you have answered that for me! I thought for a second they could monitor her doing the kent test here but seems sadly not! Thanks again! I await the comments too! :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Did know of a child taking the test an 11 plus in netherlands (military family) prior to move back ti UK but everyone else is expected to get themselve to the exam place to do it. TBH there are lots of people doing the tests outside their LEAs (sometimes quite a long way) and trying to keep track of the tests etc.

i am sure there was a specific canterbury thread recently - I'll have a hunt

edit: - here is one about some recent waiting lists: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... canterbury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would suggest you ring or e-mail KCC in Maidstone, they are really helpful.

I'll try and find contact details for you
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi there eob1,
Sorry this is probably too late to be any use but we lived in Bucks when DS took his 11+ at the correct time, a couple of months later we found out we had to move to Kent. DS had to completely disregard his Bucks result (even though it was a pass) & sit the Kent test as new & also as we were considering Medway he had to take the Medway test too. So in our experience each new county (particularly Kent & Medway) required you to sit their own tests. Hope this helps a little, but of course follow the advice of above posts & contact them directly to confirm. :)
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

As Yoyo said, it would be a good idea to call Kent CC (look on their website for contact details) to ask about the procedure for late applicants/ those moving to the area after the application date.

Your daughter will need to sit the Kent 11+ either in September (beginning of year 6) with all the other candidates or, I think, she will be able to sit the test alone when you move to the area. The advantage of sitting in September is that you will know whether she has passed before you apply for school places and, assuming that she has, you will be able to go straight up the waiting lists once you have a Kent address.

There is an outside chance that you might get a place at your choice of grammar based on your current address but most grammars (certainly in the Canterbury area- not sure about Folkstone) are oversubscribed and, since priority is given to children in Kent, you would be bottom of the list. That being the case, the earlier in the allocation process you can get to Kent the better; there won't be many places left to allocate by the end of year 6...
eob1

Post by eob1 »

Hi there
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I contacted KCC this week and told them by dilemma. They said that when it comes to transferring schools there are a number of things I would have to do. Firstly, on the school admissions form I would have to complete that in Devon but put Kent schools on it. DD would then have to take a Devon 11 plus test even though those results cant be transferred to Kent. Then as and when we moved, we would have to complete an in-year admission for admission into Secondary school in 2013. I note what you say about places which is a bit of a worry. Wonder what happens if all the places are gone/allocated? Maybe I should have asked how it fares with children moving into the area with regard to places? i may ring them again. Thanks again for all your help!
jingle

Post by jingle »

Hi eob1
I have sent you a pm (private message) with some info which may hopefully be useful. Just check your messages in top left hand corner.
Best wishes
J